F5Turbo Illustrated Build Guide

Joined 2017
Paid Member
Thank you guys, that’s awesome. 6l6, are you saying transformer and rectifiers in case and in amplifier chassis filtering all psu caps? Is there a maximum length I could run the rail voltage? I’m thinking I wouldn’t need it to be any longer than 24”/36”

Last edited:
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Several examples on the forum have included rectification and initial capacitance in the PSU chassis, then additional capacitance in the amp chassis. This in effect gives you a CRCRC, wherein the final R is the minimal resistance of the umbilical.

I have an external PSU that is CLC in the PSU chassis, with cap banks in the amp chassis (for F5, F7ish, Scryer...). I believe @Plott has a CRC in a separate chassis. There are a number of permutations that could suit your F5T. "All roads lead to Rome," as ZM says.

There's a whole thread with good discussion on separate PSU chassis for Pass amps.

I'm glad I went that route, though it inevitably led to building more amps to try with it... :devilr:

Reactions: 1 users
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I remember Nelson put his back out a few years ago by lifting something he shouldn't have.

As an aging man with a bad back myself, I have eliminated the case, the transformer and most of the heatsinks by switching to SMPS with low-power fans blowing over small heatsinks for all my personal builds. With a single quiet Noctua 120mm fan, you can halve the heatsink with zero thermal consequences. With two a side, I can use about a quarter size heatsink and you can lift the amplifier with one hand (not really, but you get the idea).

SMPS is slightly iffy for Class AB builds but if you can adjust your expectations they work quite well with Class A amps, and can be made to run significantly quieter (electrically) than linear supplies. There is basically zero 60Hz noise in a good SMPS, and if you stay within the Class A envelope, they will run quite well. I currently run a Class A SE design (with bipolar outputs, yuck) that runs better off a SMPS because of its very low PSRR. You can also use a linear supply with a cap multiplier ala Aleph or one of the Zens, but then the benefits of a linear supply are somewhat nullified. Except the weight, everyone knows heavy amplifiers sound better. /s

Of course when I build for others I need to put all those back because 'Reasons'.

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2017
Paid Member
Hello, I'm In the process of putting together the list to see what parts I have and what I need to buy to build the F5TV3’s. I have a question about capacitors. In my original build of the F5TV2, I built it as a monoblock, so I have duel everything. I’m also about 95% convinced I will use separate psu chassis with transformer, rectifier and caps. The question I have is can I mix capacitance? Exapmple: In the psu chassis use 33kuf because I have them onhand and in the amp chassis use a few 22Kuf because I have them on hand or do all the values need to be consistent?

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Oh just might have figured out what you are getting to. When in class A the current draw on rails would be balanced and in B the draw would be different between the rails. Is that correct. If so what happens that would be detrimental to sound?
It's not exactly balanced or constant, but the ratio between continuous and peak current requirement is lower in Class A. SMPS do not like fluctuating loads, which tends to happen more in Class AB.

Push-pull Class A amplifiers like the F5 do still tend to demand some swing from the rails, even within the Class A envelope, but it is minor - a factor of 2.5, from memory of my last simulations. For Class AB, this may be a factor of hundreds as the standing bias is very low.