Sound of various Pass amps

I built an F6 and was absolutely delighted with its sound. It quickly pushed at 91A 300B with all boutique parts onto the floor. So sad, I love the glow of those thousand dollar tubes. Then came along the F4. Fantastic! Detail and base definition I wasn't prepared for. Here is an amp that made mediocre recordings enjoyable by virtue of hearing music I had been unaware of before. Of course, I upgraded the DAC with a Benchmark DAC3 to supply the required input signal strength. Still prefer the F4 to an F6 and will live with it forever and ever, or until Nelson unveils something new to try. What a great hobby!

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Vince, I am curious about the tube triode preamp that you used in front of your F4.

Don't laugh, OK? It's my first tube amp and I didn't want to invest too much and wanted it simple. ;) You probably don't need my help, but I made a few mistakes that are easily avoidable. Someone build it and let me know if I'm crazy or not. :D

My S5 Preamp Site

First Tube Project - S5 Electronics Preamp

F4 indeed, will unleash the shine of your preamp driving it.
Very transparent as it doesn't add anything in the signal chain.
But to compare F4 to F6 (apple-to-apple): let's set aside the preamp for a moment.
F4 is extremely neutral all around from fast high frequency instruments, unaltered vocal/mid, to tight base.
F6 has a twist of warm(when tweaked), sharp edge and very tight base (like the F4).

I can't choose between the two, so I ended keeping both.

The S5 preamp looks like a nice simple circuit.
I'm thinking of going a little more old school with a pair of octal triodes mounted on the top plate of my MoFo chassis. The circuit I'm looking at is the Vilfort Balanced White Cathode Follower v3.1, which was used as the input stage of a Hafler 220 hybrid conversion several years ago.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Ive heard or built most of these and Nelson’s descriptions seem similar to my observations. Also worth note, I could easily and happily live with any of them as my only amplifier.

Somebody asked about the Burning Amp series and I’d describe the BA-3 as the perfect combination of F5 and F4 (because that is almost exactly what it is...) essentially everything good about both with no downside.

When asked point blank for a suggestion on what to build first, I suggest Aleph J, and I still stand by that, I love it, it’s a great amp, and nobody who’s built one that I know of has disliked it - it’s an exceedingly pretty amp and if you’ve never heard real class-A, you will be completely flabbergasted.

For what it’s worth, (and to further confuse those not sure what to build) I’ve had M2x in my system since it’s been built, and if you forced me to choose just one, BA-3.

All that said, when comparing these amplifiers you must envision yourself standing in a garage entirely full of Ferraris, and asking the question, “which of these is the most Italian sports car?” :D

Vince, I am curious about the tube triode preamp that you used in front of your F4. I have an interest in a triode front end for my MoFo monoblocks, which are also unity gain by themselves. I do have an octal 6SL7 + 6SN7 design in mind, but am happy to entertain other ideas.

You could check out the Impasse preamp, specifically designed by SY to drive the F4, as I recall.

Just for ZM:

attachment.php

Attachments

• wolseley 3.jpg
    wolseley 3.jpg
    398.4 KB · Views: 2,333
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
nice Alfa Romeo pic . yeah :)

regarding WE amp on pic - there was that exact category from Yore - amps called ........ huh, can't recall :rofl:

anyway - booster amps, intended for augmenting Sissy one , but most of them had both current and voltage gain

so , F4 is modern Booster amp, original or crippled (that would be Front End-less) :rofl: