XA30.5 and noise

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
put it in stand by , then power it off with main switch

when powering on , first main switch , wait few secs , then wake it from stand by

that's just sequence of two switches , one front , one back

re-read few posts back and you'll catch that .8 is not real stand by (at least not as in .5) but just small auxiliary xformer powered ....... at least that's how I understand it

regarding speculating on some performance mods ..... you didn't impress me as someone able to conduct necessary changes

I own a XA30.5, I leave it in standby and power up via 12V trigger. I hear nothing through the speakers when switching on/off via 12V trigger - but the speakers it runs are only 89dB sensitivity. Still, I would think I would hear some thump if it was an issue, I leave the volume up in between on/off sessions. I can't comment on the standby vs cold off power savings, I wouldn't run class A amps if I was worried about power savings.

I’m likely to get thrashed again on this but as the XA30.5 has since been discontinued for a full year, could someone here please devise a standby mode modification that reduces its 15 watt draw down to the XA30.8’s 1 watt?

As Nelson said, the 30.5 has rather serious speaker thumps-which will almost certainly be dangerously loud over my 97db speakers. Need I mention how priceless hearing sensitivity is? And my room’s only 14 ft x 19 x 8.

I’d like to convince myself to get this amp if the 1 watt standby could beadded.That would be a long awaited and excellent year round greener solution; no powering the amp off so dangerous speaker thumps will never happen. And the supply filter caps then won’t get hit with high inrush current, thereby extending their life.

So again, now that the 30.5 is retired who here are game for designing the 1watt standby mod?

And while you’re at it, why not speculate on some performance mods to further improve its sound quality compared to the 30.8, that wouldn’t require increased bias current. https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/comparing-the-pass-labs-xa30-5-to-the-xa-30-8?page=2

I never have heard or read that the X30.5 draws 15 watts out from the mains in st/by-mode. AFAIK both .5 and .8 have similar figures.
And though both amps have some common design facts you can't modify a .5 to a .8

everything is possible
even wooden stove

:)

cool!! If you convert a 30.5 to a 30.8 without any major changes I will pay you! I can count at least one board to be added besides several mods to input and output stage....and many other things!!
Ah....and since you can make everything happen, please add to my wish list...that I want it converted with simple value changes :flame::flame::eek:

No...kidding aside...I totally agree with HM....this time it would take you a total revamp to convert XA30 also considering that the biasing is much higher...so you would also have to change heatsinks power supply and more....hopefully you were kidding!!

boyz , you're wasting your time and energy , not mine

it's perfectly clear , if not from post #121 , then it is from post #127 what I meant .

accent is not on technicalities needed for change , but on ability of someone to make them

yes...exactly.....with end result of completely destroying the aesthetic and defeating the entire purpose of un upgrade because it will simply cost you more than replacing the unit itself with a new stock 30.8...let alone the amount of efforts spent trying to rebuild it.

I could revamp the 30.5 as well...as a matter of fact I could also make it a XS300...it is nothing special and it's not a matter of who can do what...it is a matter of what makes practical sense.
With your statement you lead people to believe it is possible and simple to convert 30.5 to 30.8 without letting them know they will need pretty much everything redone...including their chassis...:eek::eek::eek:
you are out of lack because you choose the product that went though the major change from one revision to the next. :flame::flame:

I don't think you wanna see what I got at home :nownow::nownow:

Stefano, it makes no sense to continue discussion:

First ZM wrote (#121), that "oltos" did not impress him as someone able to conduct necessary changes which basically is an offending statement.
After my post (#123) to "oltos" that converting a X30.5 into a X30.8 is impossible ZM knew it better and answered me that everything is possible (#124) which could let some members believe that such a conversion could be done. Therefore I suggested him (#125) in a polite way not to kid members, which nicoch58 (ZMs advocate?) could not see because he had already relaxed.
But - surprise! - though ZM some minutes before had written that everything is possible he posted in #127 that he can't convert a female into male.
But when you argued to ZM that you wanted to convert a X30.5 to X30.8 for cheap money - here we discuss in a DIY-forum where one main target is to save money with our hobby - he invited us not to waste our time and energy (#131) forgetting that he has caused this with his facile comment but implying you that you can't read!

It's unbelieveabe how may different opinions can come from one single person - or are there some more unknown ZMs writing in our forum?

A golden rule should be: "First think and then write"....

To bring it to a technical end: for cheap money no XA30.5 could be converted/upgraded into a XA30.8¸there must be made too many changes both in mechanical and electronic aspect.
Their power consumptions in st/by-mode are compareable.

Hm...you make really very good points!!

Interesting how it was our fault for putting things on his mouth!!!

Your technical summary is correct and I agree completely with you 30.5 is very too different from his new counterpart to make any sense to talk about conversion/upgrade!

Joined 2012
Paid Member
I never have heard or read that the X30.5 draws 15 watts out from the mains in st/by-mode. AFAIK both .5 and .8 have similar figures. And though both amps have some common design facts you can't modify a .5 to a .8
FWIW at this point, 15 watts power draw in standby was what someone at Pass Labs said when I called about it early last week.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.