Threshold Cas-2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
In the future i am planning to power planner speakers. Do you guys know if this amp can handle the low impedance from the planners or maybe martin logan electrostatic speakers.

In the past they have been used into MLs successfully, but the amp was
not really designed around low impedance loads. If you intend to push
them at higher levels you can probably do better with the larger amps.

Hi Nelson, may i ask you few questions?

Can you provide me the spec into 4ohms load? all i know this is rated at 125wpc into 8ohms.

since this amp is over 30 years old and i do not know if the 1st or maybe many owners did anything to repair or keep it up to original spec. do you think is time that i should bring into my local tech to replace old parts? I am not that technical but just enjoying music and i do know which amplifiers sounds good to my ear.

Thanks,

Mike

Thanks for the info. Nelson. Have been searching the net for it but couldnt find any expect reviews.

I have another question if you dont mind answer it. I have own this amp for almost two years now but until recently. Not only it develop that thump once first started but now it starts with scratchy sound. More pronouce when turning the volume knob on my preamp. Tried the oreamp with my other amp because i thought it was the preamp but it does not occurred. Is there something seriously failing with my cas2?

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Here's a review.

Scratchy volume control usually means there's DC on the volume control.
I would look for DC there first.

Attachments

• cas2 audio journal 1.jpg
    cas2 audio journal 1.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 332
  • cas2 audio journal 2.jpg
    cas2 audio journal 2.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 345
  • cas2 audio journal 3.jpg
    cas2 audio journal 3.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 338
  • cas2 audio journal 4.jpg
    cas2 audio journal 4.jpg
    258.5 KB · Views: 330
  • cas2 audio journal 5.jpg
    cas2 audio journal 5.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 313
Hi Nelson,

I let the the tech who works on my audio stuff to clean the preamp control pot and now it does not have those scratchy sound when adjusting volume.however, now it seem there is a static sounds coming from the speaker when powering up the amp even with nothing connected. the static sounds also occurred when changing between songs with everything connected.

Hi Nelson,

Guess you have been very busy. I guess the kef ls 50 was very sensitive for causing static sounds when changing between song. I swap it for the ub5 and everything is fine. I do have another question. My amp is making a humming sound. It seems like it is getting worse. I have tried plugging it in at different outlets in the house and my parents. The result is the same. Can you please tell me if something is going bad? I love this amp and would like to keep it forever.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.