Zen Turns Twenty

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Pass DIY Apprentice
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Twenty years ago this month, the big guy gave us the amp that launched a thousand DIYers.

The Zen amp brought the minimalism of the SET movement to the solid-state crowd all in a nice, easy-to-build (and understand), low-voltage project. Hundreds and hundreds of copies have been built, along with many more hundreds of variations. Zen let us "think different", have a little fun, and brought countless hours of listening enjoyment and education.

Happy anniversary, Zen! And many, many thanks, Nelson. Will there be cake?

:)

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
;)

to some , Zen brought peace of mind ...... way of escape from fifilystic approach to music

I stumbled later to Zens , prior having same experience with toobz and iron ..... but then I had all fun of the world with Papa's 3 and 7-legged fuses

he really thought me that gadgets are really of secondary importance ......

:clown:

for those of us who missed the boat...

I am coming at this from the far side having just built a Bride of Zen preamp and never having built any of its potential mates. Does anybody out there want to sum up the whole Zen cycle so I might find an entry point? My Bride is lonely, I guess...:cubist:

Looking for opinions based on hindsight

Thanks Vince.

I found this helpful too: http://www.sounds.wa.com/reference/guide_draft.pdf

But what I am looking for is a point of entry that is defined by what works out best with 20 years of hindsight.

I know for sure that amps need to be matched to the right speaker too and no one has that data in total. I'm just looking for a direction things progressed to. It seems to my dizzy mind that the Aleph J is the ultimate progeny of the First Watt exploration. I'm just looking for opinions :D

*****Let's go *****20 Years of Zen Amp ***** Party is Open***** Happy Birthday *****

Attachments

• icon_jump.gif
    icon_jump.gif
    2.7 KB · Views: 545
  • ramutch.gif
    ramutch.gif
    4 KB · Views: 557
  • icon_fiesta.gif
    icon_fiesta.gif
    12.2 KB · Views: 553
  • icon_smoke.gif
    icon_smoke.gif
    8.3 KB · Views: 548
  • guitarra.gif
    guitarra.gif
    4.6 KB · Views: 551
Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
old notes , evidently not complete ones :

F1 100W diss/ch 10W/8E/ch

F2 75W diss/ch 5W/8E/ch (10W/4E/ch)

F3 100W diss/ch 15W/8E/ch

F4 80W diss/ch 25W/8E/ch (buffer)

F5 60W diss/ch 25W/8E/ch

just go to firts watt / articles , download all pdfs , make same list for all Zen amps and you'll have it

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.