Aleph J versus Aleph 3

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all.

I want to built an Aleph with approx 30w. I have in my possession some IRFP244 and IRF9610. and I wonder if it is worth the trouble to built an Aleph J (due to termination of production of 2sj109 - 2sj74 bl) versus Aleph 3.
Is there difference in the acoustic performance of these two amplifiers to justify the acquisition process?
What acoustic difference if I use the IRFP244 in the construction of aleph j instead of IRFP240?

Thanks for your help,

Nick

As far as I can ascertain, all the Alephs have that lovely "tubey" type of character which is also (apparently) there in the BA series. The Aleph J is more difficult to build due to its X topography, matching of the components is far more critical.

Aren't the X's just Alephs in X configuration?

Last edited:
What are these differences and these can be applied to the Aleph 3?

Max output current, AC gain setting of the current source bumper.
Pap's patent 5710522, (R4xR3)/(R1xR5)

(What, did I say bumper again ? Konshens ft J Capri - Pull Up To Mi Bumper [Official Video HD] @iAmExquisite - YouTube )

The standard J is only suited for 8 ohm and higher loudspeakers, while the 3 can drive a 2 ohm impedance all day long.

(e.g. the Aleph-J I built has a much higher bias level, with AC current gain set at 50%, in order to drive quad esl's)

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Is it possible to use the Aleph 3 output section with the Aleph J input section? Seems that way you get the power and low impedance drive of the 3 with the characteristics of the J.

possible , yes
more oomph , yes

Is it possible?
And is it possible the aleph j with aleph 3 input section? :spin:

J is from Jfet in input

so - J becomes non-J with mosfet input

Is it possible to use the Aleph 3 output section with the Aleph J input section? Seems that way you get the power and low impedance drive of the 3 with the characteristics of the J.

Sorry for resurrecting this. I am looking at the Aleph J for a while now, but I did not yet pull the trigger because I'd like a bit more headroom for speakers that may go a bit lower than 8 Ohm.

First of all, why does the Aleph 3 cope well with < 8 Ohm loads, whereas the Aleph J does not? I might be blind , but looking at the schematics, their power / output stages look pretty much the same to me. What am I missing?

Has anyone made an amplifier a-la Aleph J with an output stage that works fine with < 8 Ohm loads? How?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.