ACA illustrated build guide

Starting at steps 44 of the illustrated build guide, IIRC
Step 44 for balanced input mode, using an XLR input ( clearly the preferred option), and 46 for single ended with external resistively loaded jumper.
Note, I think Jim had mentioned the connection error in Step 48 photo - i.e. the jumper should be connected to left channel black speaker post - but it looks like the photo has not yet been revised?

Thanks! There it is. I could not remember of the existance of the build guide in the store.... Any risk in connecting wrong as in the picture?

aca mono block help

hi ive had a look at the build of the bridged aca mono block and as a newbe ime a bit confused how to wire up, i dont have a kit like shown as i make my own enclosures, at the mo just heatsinks and pcbs ect as i want to have a quick listen bfore i commit to building it,, can you look at the two attachments and see if either of those wire ups would work please thanks alot

Attachments

• aca.jpg
    aca.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 576
  • bridge.jpg
    bridge.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 445
4 Ohm speakers, medium sensitivity

In this case, I would highly recommend building a pair of ACAmps as mono blocks. Try both bridged and parallel. There has been some discussion of this in the ACA amp with premium parts thread. For lower impedance speakers, the parallel mono blocks are probably preferred, but as always let your ears decide.

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Good news! The backordered parts for making the ACA kits have arrived so if you didn’t get in on the last buy you can just order them from the store. We already have some in stock and more will arrive very soon! If the store accepts your order then the parts kit will be mailed right away. However the chassis probably won’t arrive until the second week of December. If the store doesn’t accept your order then try a day later....

The kits make a fine Christmas gift for various nieces and nephews and children if you then sit down with them to help them build it. i’ve helped two 8 year olds build amps and their sharp eyes and coordination helps them catch on to soldering quickly!

And if you’ve been good this year you deserve such a great gift for yourself, and no doubt your wife will be happy to hear that there is something you really want. And can order it yourself!

LED question

I have the previous version monoblock pair. I'd like to get some different colored LEDs. I went to parts express and found this

Ultra-Bright Blue 5mm LED 5500 mcd

I don't really know if the forward voltage... is right. Anyone have any specs for which LEDs would work? I did damage one of the LEDs on one of the monos and found a spare in one of my parts drawers and it had no markings. I tested it and it worked fine (green) now I have one amp with a red and another with a (brighter) green.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
rule of thumb for series resistor , at least good for start and you'll not burn the LED - 1K per each rail volt - go for first higher standard value than calculated

you can freely use even 1K5 with nowadays bright LEDs .... and sometimes you need even more

so , in few steps , you'll get it right

and yes - avoid ultra bright ...... you need nidicolous low currents for these

Hi, I just started the kit (most recent version as of 8/19)and am running into some mild confusion on the resistors and their locations- I see snippets of a Parts list in some of the assembly videos / pictorials in the forum but I didn't seem to get the link or this document that identifies the resistor value by its board location. Is there a link to his document / parts list that I can access?

thanks