Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

LSK pre - BAF 2013
LSK pre - BAF 2013
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th January 2018, 08:13 PM   #541
Hikari1 is offline Hikari1  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikari1 View Post
Attachment 655655

I did in fact add more feedback...520R/150R was as close as I could get to what you suggested. The sound is a little bit more lively now. Seems like a little less gain too? Not sure which I prefer, the original has a smoothness and silkiness I like. But I will have to listen for a while and see.

Also, while the circuit seems DC stable in a temp controlled situation it does fluctuate a bit (20mv or so) with temp changes. It probably doesn't help that my phono amp with shut regs is on top of it. I will leave the cps for now.

Still impressed. Thanks Juma.
Juma,

After playing with the feedback values I think I like 680/150R, your original values, the best. It has a smooth, airy sound I like and the widest soundstage.

I'd like to try a buffer on output. Why? Might get some more low-end dynamics and keep the airy highs without changing the feedback values. Also, might be awesome for headphones.

Do you have any recommendations?

Currently I am thinking about using the output stage from Wayne's Pass DIY headphone amp (attached) since the bias mechanism is convenient.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WhammyRev1.jpg (196.4 KB, 765 views)
Old 12th January 2018, 08:45 AM   #542
juma is offline juma  Germany
diyAudio Member

If you want to drive headphones, it's OK.
If you just want low Zout, a simple JFET Source follower at the output would be enough, like this:
Attached Images
File Type: gif c2psf.gif (11.3 KB, 739 views)

Last edited by juma; 12th January 2018 at 08:49 AM.
Old 14th January 2018, 03:43 AM   #543
diyAudio Member

Thanks Juma. That is good info. Currently Iam playing around with coupling caps to see if I can get it where I want it without adding another stage. Believe it or not, right now I have a 100uf Silmic cap on output bypassed by a poly cap and it sounds very good. I like the original lower feedback values. But at this point it’s really more tweaking than anything.
Old 28th January 2018, 08:22 PM   #544
eLarson is offline eLarson  United States
diyAudio Member

Would it be worth trying something like the circuit of post #485 in a single-ended fashion?

I ask because I happen to have some LSK170s but I do not currently have any LSK74s to form the complementary side.
Old 28th January 2018, 09:33 PM   #545
juma is offline juma  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eLarson View Post
Would it be worth trying ...
Interesting idea. I am looking forward to see your schematic.
Old 29th January 2018, 01:32 AM   #546
eLarson is offline eLarson  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by juma View Post
Interesting idea. I am looking forward to see your schematic.
Thanks, I'll give it a shot. I'm trying to learn how to use KiCad so it might be a little bit before I get it to work.
Old 8th February 2018, 04:30 PM   #547
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Juma,

After playing with the feedback values I think I like 680/150R, your original values, the best. It has a smooth, airy sound I like and the widest soundstage.

I'd like to try a buffer on output. Why? Might get some more low-end dynamics and keep the airy highs without changing the feedback values. Also, might be awesome for headphones.

Do you have any recommendations?

Currently I am thinking about using the output stage from Wayne's Pass DIY headphone amp (attached) since the bias mechanism is convenient.
So, I started to put together Juma's LSK/CM front end (very nice) + the pass optocoupler output stage. Why? I want to drive headphones AND power amps at home and Juma's front end has the sound I am looking for, spatially.

I am wondering about the feedback values. 680/150R sounds right to me...Best mix of dynamics and soundstage.

Wayne's follower uses 4.75K/1K for feedback. About the same ratio and gain. But the ground resistor loads the BJT's in Juma's stage and 1K might wrong.

Should I stick with 680/150R? Feedback will be as attached, all the way to the output of the follower stage. I am planning on mounting Juma's front end above the mosfet followers like UGS to potentially experiment with other follwers and front ends later. Fun stuff.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Juma-Wayne-Preamp.jpg (329.8 KB, 500 views)
File Type: jpg headphoneSCH1.jpg (195.3 KB, 484 views)
File Type: png Screen shot 2018-02-03 at 9.26.57 PM.png (12.5 KB, 477 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1775.JPG (911.7 KB, 268 views)

Last edited by Hikari1; 8th February 2018 at 04:33 PM. Reason: add pics
Old 9th April 2018, 07:53 PM   #548
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Here’s some progress.

It works. Cap coupled for now although offset seems very stable. But Iam being cautious. Boards do not bolted down until I figure out if I need the caps.

Iam going to listen for a while and see what I think.

THANK YOU JUMA!
After the first version I made of Juma's Current Mirror preamp was auditioned I decided to go back and try it again with better matched BC transistors (matched to 2% or so) and a little more attention to detail (mundorf silver solder, teflon wire, etc.). This time I used Takman metal films and omitted the pot since I was using a cap on output anyways. Hoping it sounds better than the first version but it's too early to tell. Seems a bit warmer but it's not broken in yet. I really like the sound of these preamps though.

Curiously, both versions seem to raise the DC offset on the power amp 10-20mv although they are cap coupled and they have no measurable DC on preamp output. Strange.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3389.jpg (798.7 KB, 158 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2673.jpg (731.7 KB, 152 views)
Old 11th April 2018, 10:36 AM   #549
woofertester is offline woofertester  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
After the first version I made of Juma's Current Mirror preamp was auditioned I decided to go back and try it again with better matched BC transistors (matched to 2% or so) and a little more attention to detail (mundorf silver solder, teflon wire, etc.). This time I used Takman metal films and omitted the pot since I was using a cap on output anyways. Hoping it sounds better than the first version but it's too early to tell. Seems a bit warmer but it's not broken in yet. I really like the sound of these preamps though.

Curiously, both versions seem to raise the DC offset on the power amp 10-20mv although they are cap coupled and they have no measurable DC on preamp output. Strange.
Are you using a signal generator? If so, place a cap between the sig gen and your preamp and see if that solves the 20mV offset.
Old 11th April 2018, 03:28 PM   #550
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woofertester View Post
Are you using a signal generator? If so, place a cap between the sig gen and your preamp and see if that solves the 20mV offset.
I do not. But I have a CD with some tone sweeps...I could use that.

Bu all my sources are cap coupled as well. It really is kind of strange.

LSK pre - BAF 2013Hide this!Advertise here!