"Inverted" Aleph J?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I saw your question after I updated the schematic as I got to the later post where Juma corrected it.

The manufacturer’s spec sheet says it’s interchangeable. I have built circuits thus and that appears to be a true statement. Why is that the wrong answer?

https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/data-sheet/BF862.pdf

not to be nit-picky , but one thing is how you're drawing schematic , and another thing is that part is having interchangeable electrodes ;

in that circuit , and all circuits on earth , LTP is having cathodes/emiters/sources in tail ; put any other electrode there , and it's no longer LTP

fact that with BF862 ( and good number of JFets ) you can turn them upside down is sort of lucky coincidence , but also one you don't need to overuse

I didn't study/search are there any consequences ( voltages, capacitances) but frankly I wasn't so keen to use that convenience at all .... sort of keeping with convention :)

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
not exactly always ...... and also not exactly figure carved in stone by Papa

The words “assuming” and “typical” don’t tie the 1.2amp bias down to anything in stone. Simply as an example to guess what kind of dissipation and power output could be.

in that circuit , and all circuits on earth , LTP is having cathodes/emiters/sources in tail ; put any other electrode there , and it's no longer LTP

If flipped upside down, it would maybe be called a LNP (Long Neck Pair) :D

Last edited:
In case of interest. There is this epay specspecialty in Texas claiming to have some 1800 pcs in stock of Harris IRFP9141 (item id 321945025104) for $5 and offer quantity discount. Similar enough spec to IRFP9140 except for 80V Vdsmax which should pose no problem for an Aleph build. Just search for IRFP9141. I also still see a few epay seller offer metal can TO3 Harris IRF9140.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.