USing Computer Heatsink

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I wonder why there are hot many DIYers using computer heatsink to mount their output transistors or Mosfets. There are so many well built CPU heatsink available at a rather affordable prices. I can mount one Fet/Trans. directly on to one heatsink. The efficient heatsink and fan can remove the heat rather efficiently. A std. heatsink with fan can support a cpu dissipating up to 100 Watts. An example is,

Thermaltake Contac 16 at

Thermaltake Contac 16 CPU Heatsink Cooler 2 Heatpipes 92mm FAN Suit Intel AMD | eBay

hence each FET can carry more current at the same time keeping the Fet cool thereby improving the lifespan of the FET and also making it more reliable.

My question has anyone try them before or the lack of interest is because the vibrations of the fan may affect the sonic output of the amp.

Any other comments.

What temperature will the case (Tc) be when the sink is dissipating 50W? No point in trying to use 100W !
Now derate the mosFET for that Tc.

What temperature is the other mosFET running at?
If it is not the same as the first, could that affect the operation of the amplifier?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.