Aleph J illustrated build guide

Joined 2003
Paid Member
This 400VA started out quiet - not sure what changed. Can confirm great customer from Antek though.

Yes, I have used quite a few of their transformers, for both power amps and preamps, always trouble free. many here use them.

If yours was quiet before, either the transformer is defective, or something got undone or broken somehow. I am the king at having "unsolvable" problems that end up being some mistake I created....see just a few posts back with my "Cold heatsink on one side" silliness...:D

Russellc

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Not much to see here:

Attachments

• IMG_4737[1].JPG
    IMG_4737[1].JPG
    161.9 KB · Views: 438
36940068704_c5f3b3486c_h_d.jpg

I have a few other speakers which might fit the bill better than the above PAP clones

I drive these with a F5t at 50watts or there abouts.

25878579098_ef185d7965_h_d.jpg

49081818952_b015533a33_k_d.jpg

I have a pair Klipsh Forte IIs which might be better suited to 20-25watts..of the J.The 24v ACA monos are really nice driving a pair of JR149's and other stuff which are a work in progress.....

Last edited:
Eric

They are something Martin King designed:- Alpair 7.3 and Emenance 15" beta. I'm using them more and more in the living space. Although there not finished 'cosmetically' they sound superb and not so monolithic (more wife friendly) than the PAP clones. I have CAD plans and a optimised xover schematic somewhere...as you can see a bit of a tight fit in the workshop, but thats the way it should be...come on move over, I need to squeeze another project in, the J.

Last edited:
I built a new Aleph J using the DIYAUDIO power supply boards and building it in a beautiful DIY 5u case. On the power supply boards I used hexfred diodes.

I have other Aleph J amps where the power supply is made out of those regular diode puck bridge rectifiers going to CLC filters using older surplus capacitors.

When looking at the power supply ripple on the new power supply board, made out of the DIYAUDIO board, fresh capacitors and hexfred diodes, The trace on my o-scope is nice and sharp at its most sensitive setting. I see a couple of millivolts of ripple.

When looking at the power supply ripple on my older power supplies, not using hexfreds, and using old surplus capacitors, the o-scope trace, at the most sensitive setting is thick and noisy looking.

In both cases, the power supplies are under load.

my questions are: why the thick fuzzy trace on my old power supply? is it the diodes ringing on the old supply...are hexfreds that good at preventing ringing...is it something else causing the thick trace and should I care?