Aleph J illustrated build guide

Joined 2019
Paid Member
@Roo2 - Sorry to hear about your ongoing issues. You'll get it working soon!

I second @Mazeppa's (and many others') recommendation to grab a Mega 328 (or some variant). I admit I had no idea how to use one at first, but this manual was very helpful. I can't remember who originally told me about the manual, or I'd give them credit.

Using the Yosoo GM328: a guide for radio and electronics experimenters, James McClanahan, eBook - Amazon.com

Note, I ordered my 328s from this person along with the cases. The cases I got are not cut properly for the top. Waste of $$, but I still used the bottom of the case. There are a lot of suppliers, so YMMV.

LCR-T4 Mega328 Transistor Tester Diode Triode Capacitance ESR Meter NPN/PNP ky | eBay

Good luck. It will be worth it when you get to hear it. :D

Thanks all. I’ve got one of those mega testers. Brilliant aren’t they! I’ve been calling it an LCR tester.. And yes, everything has been going into it before soldering onto the board. When I replaced Q4 last week the removed unit measured the same as the replacement. I’ll replace Q2and Q3 as suggested. I’ll need to order some ZTX550 transistors.

I’m onto a potential source of JFETs also. What Idss? Does Idss matter as long as they are in the B range and a matched pair?

Please help me find a malfunction.
One amplifier channel started working immediately; in the second, problems started. The sound is poorly audible with noise. The quiescent current of the output transistors is adjustable and set to 0.4v. Thanks

Attachments

• 0003.png
    0003.png
    55.4 KB · Views: 441
The bias voltage and the quiescent current on both channels are the same, but the gain on one channel is slightly less, the question is how to combine them to get the same signal level?

As far as I can tell from your video, the DVM was set to read DC voltage across the speaker terminals. How is this going to tell you anything about the gain (AC!) of your amp?

You'd need to hook up your amp such that both channels get the same input (I'd suggest a 100 mV sine at 100 Hz or so) and then read the AC voltages across the speaker terminals of both channels in order to learn something about the gain balance of the two channels.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
The video shows the voltage offset at the output of the amplifier.
The difference in gain on each channel is audible even without measurements. The question was what is regulated, how can I level both channels, ok?

if you have genuine JFets in input ( BL range) , if all resistors are the same ,there is no reason that channels are having different gain

check all resistors , if there is no doubt in JFets

Hello my aleph J one Chanel is no sound .
Basic is .47 MV and DC cannot set (-0000.00)
Pls tell me what can I do now ?

Best regards
Myint

pics

Joined 2019
Paid Member
I got the Aleph J updated to dual-mono. :D Thanks to everyone for the advice, particularly ZM and @TungstenAudio. ZM, I'll get the fuses put into the SissySIT next.

It's getting back up to operating temp in the main system, but everything checked out wonderfully with the test rig.

Before and After...

Attachments

• IMG_1530.jpg
    IMG_1530.jpg
    758.3 KB · Views: 420
  • IMG_1531.jpg
    IMG_1531.jpg
    808.3 KB · Views: 1,041