Aleph J illustrated build guide

Mine is very quiet as well. No hum or noise with 95db speakers. I remember when I brought the amp up for the first time I had a small amount of audible hum. I changed how I connected the chassis ground to the circuitry and solved the issue. So maybe that is a place to look/experiment.

Totally quiet here as well.
I used the standard layout with transformer at the front middle and power board central behind that. The amp boards are nicely spaced away on each side. I had wondered about the amount of space in these amps but with the heat and obviously to reduce any hum it's a great design.
I haven't even twisted my speaker leads but I can't see that helping anyway. I mean speaker leads externally aren't twisted. It's really only inputs that need shielding.

Totally quiet here as well.
I used the standard layout with transformer at the front middle and power board central behind that. The amp boards are nicely spaced away on each side. I had wondered about the amount of space in these amps but with the heat and obviously to reduce any hum it's a great design.
I haven't even twisted my speaker leads but I can't see that helping anyway. I mean speaker leads externally aren't twisted. It's really only inputs that need shielding.

A lot of the hum issues folks have are related to the chassis ground to circuit board ground connection point. The output leads are a low impedance point which makes it harder for hum to be induced. I agree that it doesn’t make a lot of sense to twist the output leads when you have maybe 10-25ft of untwisted speaker wire connected directly to the output. But then again, it doesn’t make sense to put a 400$ ac outlet in the wall and plug a 9 gauge power cable into it to feed a preamp. That doesn’t stop some folks from doing it.
Are you happy with the sound of your Aleph J? I need to do a little work on mine (power supply upgrade) and have another listen. I found it superb on vocals and jazz and just a bit loose in the bass with my 95db 12” 2 way PI 3 speakers. I went on to build a pair of F5 turbo monoblocks which I have been listening to for about a year now. Then there is the ACA which I am just finishing up. It will soon be time for some direct comparisons.

I'm very happy with the Aleph J sound. It's clear and full. The bass is very strong with this setup using the Monoprice integrated hybrid with a line out from the valve pre-amp and a set of AMW bookshelf speakers.
I have a 12B4 preamp in the pipeline, design is settled and parts are here, but no time to play for a week or three. Though it has no tone controls I'm hoping it will sound better than the Chinese made Monoprice.
Just building a big workshop for guitar making , car and motorcycle work and of course there'll be a dedicated electronics bench. Then I'll probably build another Aleph for workshop music though I recently rebuilt my old HMV valve gramophone which still needs a new output transformer as it has a crackle. That may well be the workshop sound as the missus tells me I'm deaf if I think it sounds awesome, but I do. It will take the son in law's elephant ears to make the final call. I'll stand by his opinion. Being 65 means a definite amount of hearing loss but just how much remains to be discovered.
If the HMV passes muster I'm planning on cloning it into a pair of monoblocks as it is a 5 valve push-pull unit running a 12ax7 as a phase splitter and a 6BL8 tone circuit with 6M5 power tubes that I have modified to run 6ck6 valves that are easier to find.
As a mono I love it but as a stereo I think it will be awesome.

measuring distortion in Aleph J's

In the last couple of weeks I bought an akitika signal Generator and a Behringer uca202 Digital USB/audio interface. I also downloaded ARTA.

With the above, I have measured some of my Aleph J's under load and found that THD was around .03% but THD and Noise could measure 3%.

Should I be alarmed???

What is the noise...I measure .002 volts of hum at the speaker terminals, with no input to the amp.

Thanks

Yes...the Behringer unit is powered off the USB...

The Amps sound great to me...surprised at the noise measurement...

off the laptop USB??? If YES, unplug the charger, i.e. let the laptop run off its battery.

Ideally, that Behringer should be powered off a regulated 5V power supply AND the laptop USB ground MUST be galvanically isolated from the Behringer ground

I have searched for but have been unable to locate any kind of circuit analysis or componet level explanations of how the Aleph j works. I'm very familiar with SE tube circuits and have successfully built several from scratch but I'm struggling to understand how this solid state amp works.I'm currently collecting all the componets for this built and should have no problems with the construction but I would really like to understand the siginal path of this circuit and the puropse of each componet before I start. While I kind of get the overall idea can someone link me to a down in the weeds detailed analysis, if such a thing even exists?
Thanks, et.

I have searched for but have been unable to locate any kind of circuit analysis or componet level explanations of how the Aleph j works. I'm very familiar with SE tube circuits and have successfully built several from scratch but I'm struggling to understand how this solid state amp works.I'm currently collecting all the componets for this built and should have no problems with the construction but I would really like to understand the siginal path of this circuit and the puropse of each componet before I start. While I kind of get the overall idea can someone link me to a down in the weeds detailed analysis, if such a thing even exists?
Thanks, et.

Did you check the linked documentation in the opening post #1?

Look for the link marked:
Aleph J Manual (From firstwatt.com)
If you have, why not ask you questions referencing that document or is what you're after way more detailed than that info? ;)