Aleph J illustrated build guide

You can't be too rich or have too large heatsinks.
:cool:

Wow. that should please even the hottest transistors.:)
Whats the size / brand of sinks you purchased?
P.

It's good to know that I was not totally wrong. I was somewhat skeptical about my heatsinc purchase.

I got second hand ones, so no brand, about 200x280x85mm/ch. It's still cost me a fortune, since I'm building multiple channels.

Last edited:
It's good to know that I was not totally wrong. I was somewhat skeptical about my heatsinc purchase.

I got second hand ones, so no brand, about 200x280x85mm/ch. It's still cost me a fortune, since I'm building multiple channels.

Cool, how far are you in the build?.
Pictures:)

New sinks from BAL is not that expensive though.
Asked for wrong length the first time (lenght equals height of the sink when installed in the amp)
Asked for a quote for 2ea 300mm length ( = height) x 300mm x 84mm.

The price was just over 100euro each incl shipping to Norway.
Shipping cost will of-course wary.

P.

A larger heat sink is a good think ... Lower junction temps will make the devices last much longer.

At a few dollars the piece, how long do you wish them to last.
In present value, the price of a power device nowadays is a mere fraction of the cost 25 years ago.
When I started building power amps with vertical MOSFETs in the mid 1980s, my rule of thumb was to spend half on the output devices and half on the heatsinks.

At a standard die temperature, chances are more likely that the output devices will outlive the amp and/or the owner.
And if they do happen to terminate themselves within 2 decades, the write-off for the power devices will be in the order of a dime a year.

(A bit like yesteryears automobiles, where the engine far outlived the car. Up to this day, there are literally thousands of small motoryachts overhere with a propulsion by a marine converted Mercedes OM636, a car/van diesel engine that hasn't been manufactured for over half a century)

Not cutting corners on heatsinks has a better chance of obtaining the desired operating temperature.
If they turn out oversized after all, it enables to bias the output devices harder : there's never enough quiescent current !

Cool, how far are you in the build?.
Pictures:)

New sinks from BAL is not that expensive though.
Asked for wrong length the first time (lenght equals height of the sink when installed in the amp)
Asked for a quote for 2ea 300mm length ( = height) x 300mm x 84mm.

The price was just over 100euro each incl shipping to Norway.
Shipping cost will of-course wary.

P.

I've got heatsinks, PCBs, and JFETs from Spencer, that's it...