Aleph J illustrated build guide

Heat kills electrolytic capacitors though.

Thats a truely legitimate concern, overcooked capacitors may suffer a shortened lifetime and reduced capacity before true rigor mortis or leakage deluxe.

The warmest capacitors in my amplifier reaches 39C, the smooting capacitors directly after the rectifiers. After 48h+ on time.

Thats Not really a problem🙂
Since i am running and planning to run them Aleph J:s as open diamond caskets. Well hexagonal aluminium mesh front and top on the way. Gotta protect them jewels 🤗

Last edited:
Joined 2003
Paid Member
with this one, I went conservative, just 150VA per ~50W of channel heat

:)

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...no-defisit-of-papas-koans.314822/post-6853241

img_20211119_204437-jpg.998937
Nice. Yes, I have always "upped" the capacitance and the transformer, played with dual mono, etc. while the overbuilt amps sound fine, i.e., mono block AlephJ and Mono block M2 with 500 VA per channel, etc. The mono blocks sounded great, both M2 and AlephJ, but one day a transformer failed. Since the "two sets" of mono blocks were really 1/2 and 1/2 AlephJ and M2, with switch on power supply to pick which "monoblocks" were being listened to. In this arrangement it put BOTH sets of monoblocks out of commission. Having a pair of 250VA transformers, I pressed one into service converting the amp back to a stereo amp.

Whoops!?! Why was this amp sounding so just right? Yep the mono blocks sounded great, but I much preferred the stereo arraignment. something was just missing with the mono block setup that the lone 250VA transformer was giving. Less money. Slightly less heat. More magic? I think so.

Same I've found with scaling up the First Watts, increased rails, etc. Seems to me the basic FirstWatts have a magic spot they have been designed around. Not exactly inexpensive amps commercially, if something bigger would sound better....its almost like someone designed them to be magic in stock configuration.......Nawww, surely not.

Russellc

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
do not overthink that

we all know who's around entitled for doing that till the end of time .... only to have Pa saying in the end that he did something from completely other reasons :rofl:

anyway - common PSU vs dual mono - strictly personal preference which you'll like more ...... and also it is not applicable to any amp, count that your preference can change for some other type

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2003
Paid Member
The mono block set up sounded great. M2s seemed stronger, really nice. Just surprised how nice it was with single transformer.

If I switched them back, I know I would be happy with the sound, I had them that way for a while.

The other disadvantage for me comes with running multiple setups. I can only use the M2 set, or the Aleph J set at the same time, not both. Really of course there's only one pair, they are switchable between M2 or Aleph J.

Also, except for one set, my speaker sets are higher efficiency types. Even flea amps can sound strong.

It just made me rethink massive power supply over kill.....

Russellc

After I had the Aleph J boards and JFETs in my drawer for far too long, I finally got around to ordering all the parts and the transformer and I build the amp. And what a joy it is! This is the best amplifier I have build so far. And thanks to the build guide everything went as smooth as can be. Thanks!

1649145429262.png

1649145507679.png

Reactions: 3 users
Nice. Yes, I have always "upped" the capacitance and the transformer, played with dual mono, etc. while the overbuilt amps sound fine, i.e., mono block AlephJ and Mono block M2 with 500 VA per channel, etc. The mono blocks sounded great, both M2 and AlephJ, but one day a transformer failed. Since the "two sets" of mono blocks were really 1/2 and 1/2 AlephJ and M2, with switch on power supply to pick which "monoblocks" were being listened to. In this arrangement it put BOTH sets of monoblocks out of commission. Having a pair of 250VA transformers, I pressed one into service converting the amp back to a stereo amp.

Whoops!?! Why was this amp sounding so just right? Yep the mono blocks sounded great, but I much preferred the stereo arraignment. something was just missing with the mono block setup that the lone 250VA transformer was giving. Less money. Slightly less heat. More magic? I think so.

Same I've found with scaling up the First Watts, increased rails, etc. Seems to me the basic FirstWatts have a magic spot they have been designed around. Not exactly inexpensive amps commercially, if something bigger would sound better....its almost like someone designed them to be magic in stock configuration.......Nawww, surely not.

Russellc

The V+ and V- rails would've dropped - that may have produced a more pleasing harmonic distortion spectrum. It seems there's a perfect point where the particular V+/V- rails values and a particular quiescent currently amount, work in synergy to produce what many of us perceive as a more pleasing result..??

Well, thing is. Aleph J two is now on the testbench over the night. Warmup, and biasing. DC balance, and the good temp measuring things.

Well, to the subject. I have given good **** to Aleph J number 1, in this thread.

I am not backing off on what i have earlier stated.

But.

Since i am waiting to finally run the Aleph J:s in paralell mono, to optimise them for 4 ohm load:

I am now back to my parallel Amp Camp Amps with (SMPS DC FILTER P089ZB KIT) and following additional large internal filter capacitors, from the single Aleph J one.

Well. That Aleph J is a extremely fine piece of pure good ****. But…

But the juicy bass in them parallel ACA:s…🥰

Wow. Pure musical love. Foot-tapping deluxe. Head bobbing, Deluxe.

Well. Thats only my point of wiev 🙂👍

Reactions: 1 users
Happy days :)

Oh, well. Yes🤗

Well, now i am running the twin Aleph J:s in parallel mono.

Well, compared to the generous twin parallel mono Amp Camps, the bass seemed perfect. Absolutely brutally hard controlled perfect, with a little, little hint of added music juice. Warm life, but not to much. Just a little hint 🙂

Well. Midrange and treble. Unbeliveably good. Absolutely Crazy revealing but without even a hint of harch electriness. Pure biological life life like and silk sonic musicality. With a *** kicking explosive bite.

Well, thats according to my taste. And That was not good enough. You gotta feel the love. More than life. But Not to perfect. But just PERFECT. 🙂 Lush musical juicyness. I want the titanic, dynamic bass, that muscular bass that effortlessly shakes the soul and the air in the room. That Leaves you with a happy smile.

So. I flipped the polarity at the speaker terminals, and moved the speakers 4 cm closer to the back wall.

And yeah! Woohaaa. God damnit, yeah!❤️😎👍

Well? You know the drill🙂 Crankit up! The one and only King:

I am running Aleph J amps with 110db sensitive horns. When the amp is connected to just the speaker (XLR unplugged) there is an audible level of noise which is off-putting at low levels of listening. The noise doesn't change when the input is connected.

Should the Aleph J be silent? Boards were purchased from Diyaudio store, perhaps the noise is from the power supply configuration not the pcb's.

I can post an internal picture of this will assist?

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Please post high res photos of the internals, with special attention to the wiring (power supply, input/output) as well as photo of the entire amp (showing the general layout). Also, please indicate the specs of your power supply (amount of capacitance, type of transformer and rating, etc.). This will help members spot potential 'noise' issues.

Do you have any equipment that may help measure residual noise at the output, ripple, etc.?

Hopefully other members with experience in tracking down noise will chime in.