Aleph J illustrated build guide

Case I was waiting arrived yesterday.
While inspecting new toy I was moving it from place to place, rotate it and so on. My back is hurt a bit now.. :D
Internals are very small, about 240mm x 338mm. Making dual mono inside it would be a challenge.
Also thinking about to use Mark Johnson's H9KPXG soft start switch board. And also figure how to put VU meter to work.
Not in haste. Would be good to complete everything by the end of the year.

IMG_7982_ed.png

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Case I was waiting arrived yesterday.
While inspecting new toy I was moving it from place to place, rotate it and so on. My back is hurt a bit now.. :D
Internals are very small, about 240mm x 338mm. Making dual mono inside it would be a challenge.
Also thinking about to use Mark Johnson's H9KPXG soft start switch board. And also figure how to put VU meter to work.
Not in haste. Would be good to complete everything by the end of the year.
first check can you read Ohmic value of D"Arson movement needle meter; if you can, you'll even see needle movement
if no logical ohmic reading and no needle movement even on lowest R range of DMM, you must pry open back of instrument ( small plate where contact screws are) and remove some funny whoknowswhatsfor pcb you'll find inside and resolder meter wires directly to screws

then you can measure what current is needed for full tilt , which is necessary to calc voltage divider for tapping into amp circuit

regarding space - Donuts stacked, cap bank pcbs stacked, and you're good

first check can you read Ohmic value of D"Arson movement needle meter; if you can, you'll even see needle movement
if no logical ohmic reading and no needle movement even on lowest R range of DMM, you must pry open back of instrument ( small plate where contact screws are) and remove some funny whoknowswhatsfor pcb you'll find inside and resolder meter wires directly to screws

then you can measure what current is needed for full tilt , which is necessary to calc voltage divider for tapping into amp circuit

regarding space - Donuts stacked, cap bank pcbs stacked, and you're good

I opened this the first day. That's what inside.
IMG_7967_ed.jpg

If I understood correctly it is voltmeter that works from 240V. I didn't dare to check if it's true.
As you suggested I gently pull wires from the PCB, removed the PCB and then managed to screw naked end of the wires under the screws.
DMM shows 164.6 Ohm

ZM, by full tilt you meant needle at the center?

About stacking. Hmmm that might do. Thanks for the advice!

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
full tilt means needle going from rest to other end

1V5 or 3V battery, neg to blakck wire

positive to 50K multiturn trimpot connected as variable resistor (mid pin connected to one outer pin) preset to max, that to uA current meter (DMM) that to red wire

fiddle trimpot to get full tilt, read current, write

use second DMM, measure voltage between black and red wires, write

positive to 50K multiturn trimpot connected as variable resistor (mid pin connected to one outer pin) preset to max, that to uA current meter (DMM) that to red wire

Are this chain of connections correct?

mad_arts.jpg

I got:
-1.402 mA
230 mV

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I got:
-1.402 mA
230 mV

OK
now - post exact schematic you're using, and I'll be specific where and how to connect it

you'll need just one trimpot and, say, 100uF/6V3 cap

that - counting that you want to observe Iq

though, as you want periodically to check both channels, simple two sections-two positions toggle switch can be used, to switch between two channels