Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Aleph J illustrated build guide
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th October 2019, 07:38 AM   #4021
astromo is offline astromo  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_Boky View Post
I think that the toroids can work above 40degC with no issues. I personally never had a problem with them overheating in class A amplifiers. Once again, the only problem with open-style toroids (non-potted) is if the plastic wrapping may become loose and allow windings to vibrate. Potted transformers seem like a great idea, especially if they are supposed to be supplying constant currents of around 2-3-4 amps. I'd call this a great long-term investment.

Re rating, I remember Nelson mentioned that there is no point in wasting VA rating; however, he had his transformers made as per VA requirement, BUT the iron was speced a level-up; If Aleph J requires 300VA transformer, he would go for 300VA windings, wound on iron speced for 400VA.
Nice. Nelson has a few advantages over simpletons like me with single unit purchasing power. In my case, I spent the extra and opted for a potted transformer. Undoubtedly OTT but at least it's built to last and I have this uncanny ability to pick up annoying buzzing sounds - so, I was happy to pay for the insurance.
Old 8th October 2019, 09:42 PM   #4022
spryor is offline spryor
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Mod View Post
1.with this load , you'll get around 1.25x more DC Volts than inputting AC Volts , so you're good with 35Vdc caps

in any case , don't go lower than 60mF as sum of all caps , per channel

2. these are good quality ones

3. personal preference ; I'm using metal diode bridges almost always

4. I=U/R ; 20mA to 30mA is enough ; calc dissipation as P=I^2 x R , go for 3-times declared power of resistor
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
I agree with everything Zen Mod says.

1) You are fine with the caps you have.

2) Nichicon are great.

3) Simple is good. It's also less expensive. There may be an advantage to the fancy diodes and such, but I've built plenty both ways and can't tell much difference. I've been using discrete lately.

4) 2.2k 3W. . But anything 2K-20K 3W will work great, It just drains the capacitor bank when powered off.
Thanks Zen Mod and 6L6 for your replies a few days back. I just saw that Antek has the 4218 transformers back in stock so I went ahead and ordered a couple to have on hand for the eventual dual mono build

One more minor parts question: Will this do for a terminal block for wiring the primaries?

Thanks!
Old 8th October 2019, 09:53 PM   #4023
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

can't see ....

Old 8th October 2019, 10:04 PM   #4024
spryor is offline spryor
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Mod View Post
can't see ....

How about this: TB100-04 Bussmann / Eaton | Mouser
Old 8th October 2019, 10:22 PM   #4025
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

good enough
Old 8th October 2019, 10:50 PM   #4026
spryor is offline spryor
diyAudio Member

Thanks! I think that's the final piece for my Mouser cart...

Well... one more question since I'm writing: I used 22 gauge wire throughout my BA3 FE pre and that seems to be working well. Can I stick with that gauge for the Aleph J? Specifically I'm wondering about the PSU connections. I recall reading somewhere that Nelson and others like small wire for signal and heavier gauge wire for the power supply. And any preference between solid vs. stranded in each of these applications?
Old 9th October 2019, 06:12 AM   #4027
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

energy lines - everything you can squeeze in pads , and that would be 1-2mm Dia , fatter the merrier , stranded of course

solid core good when you have eyelets and terminals , but when dealing with pcbs , solid core is critical from multiple reasons

for input signal I'm using twisted solid core , 0.15mm Dia
Old 9th October 2019, 06:44 AM   #4028
Extreme_Boky is offline Extreme_Boky
diyAudio Member

AWG14 will work with both the power supply PCB, and with the Aleph J PCB; the Aleph J PCB has larger diameter eyelets (2.0mm) compared to the power supply board PCB eyelets (1.7mm) ... which is a bit sad and disappointing.
Old 10th October 2019, 06:34 PM   #4029
WKCox is offline WKCox  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Aleph J MOSFETs

Has anyone here purchased matched MOSFETs from hotshot audio? Just want to confirm that this is a reliable source for matched IRFP240.
Pass F5, M2x, ACA, B1, B1 Korg; Audio Research ST-70-C3; Dynaco ST-35; Audio Electronic Supply SE-1; Elekit TU-8500; Hagerman Bugle; Scan-Speak Solist MTM; Selah SA-1; Seas Loki; Cavalli eXStatA; Millett Hybrid MAX, Hybrid MiniMAX
Old 10th October 2019, 06:52 PM   #4030
AudioSan is offline AudioSan  Norway
diyAudio Member

With 100% positive feedback i would guess he's selling the real deal

Aleph J illustrated build guideHide this!Advertise here!