Aleph J illustrated build guide

If it was working prior to replacing Q2 - Q4 and stopped working after replacement, then most likely one or more of the replacement parts are faulty.

So at this point you should remove Q2 - Q4 and check to see if they are faulty, and replace if necessary.

Brad,

I agree with Ben you need to revisit Q2 - Q4. Check that you have the correct parts and installed in the correct orientation.

Please also measure the voltages across the zener D1 and the resistors/pots R8 and R7.

Thanks, Ben. That would have been the most logical way to do things. I jumped the gun a bit on moving along to the next set of parts replacements. Per your and Dennis's recommendations, I will check Q2 - Q4 and also let you know the zener and R7/R8 voltages.

A very basic and maybe idiotic suggestion: rebuild the channel, new PCB and all.

Thanks, Andy. If the Q2-Q4 thing doesn't work out, I'm taking your advice and rebuilding the channel.

Shoot, sorry jhuabd, those were the broken links you meant. Here's the schematic. BOM is attached.
AJ_Sch.png

Attachments

• BOM-Aleph-J-UMS.pdf
    480.2 KB · Views: 90
I think I will, stay away from it temporarily till the time I can breath a little and have my second wind.

thanks again for all your help.

I will be back soon enough.
Finally able to finish my AJ, after reversing the ZTX orientation, replacing the J74s and replacing D1 it is now singing, will burn it in some more and make final adjustments on the bias and offset. Off the bat it really sounds good, no source its quiet as a mouse.

Thanks to the generosity of Mr. Pass and all the overwhelming help for all of the experts here, can't say thanks more than enough!
263908656_902784960605280_5581761522356348131_n.jpg

Yes, it is dual mono. I'll move everything to the center. Thanks
Consider mounting the tranny brackets under the bottom plate. That will give you some extra room to put your bridges right in front of them, instead of on the sides. That will also enable shorter wires from the tranny.

also, good practice to twist DC wires. Even though Mighty seems to get away with not always doing it. But he uses superspecced custom made trannies, with primary/secondary shielding, and low flux and low loading compared to potential. Maybe that has something to do with it. Or maybe it’s just because he is so Mighty :clown: