Aleph J illustrated build guide

Judging by this photo you posted, you'll need all the help you can get, so the idea is sound. Give them ice cubes a go - most definitely.

Attachments

• 2C6B1BC9-0546-438F-BD7E-E793177302E5.jpeg
    2C6B1BC9-0546-438F-BD7E-E793177302E5.jpeg
    329.4 KB · Views: 251
Judging by this photo you posted, you'll need all the help you can get, so the idea is sound. Give them ice cubes a go - most definitely.

Jokes aside. I was thinking about pm’ing you today about your thoughts. All help appreciated, I am all ears. First P2P PSU.

Low ESR 100k’s at the end. 10uF’s MKP decouplers at the load/last set of caps.

Ground planes will mean as few wires as possible, but inductors of course need them.

Edit: last pic a few posts back have the caps more closely mounted. The small ones need some disrance from each other iot accomodate the ground planes.

Last edited:
Aleph J Dual Mono

Finally received the chassis from Italy, shipment was stuck in France for a week but arrived in Miami yesterday. Ready to start the Dual Mono Build, looking forward to it. I will post pictures as I go, will be slow start as I have a few Work trips coming up.

I also attached the latest Power Connection drawing, swapped the Connections on both Fuses (line input on center connection and Line out to side connection) thank ZenMod for the Comment.

Greeting from Sunny Miami,

Max

Attachments

• IMG_1728.jpeg
    IMG_1728.jpeg
    923.2 KB · Views: 224
  • Aleph J - Dual Mono (Power Connections) Rev. 11.25.21-OT.pdf
    484.3 KB · Views: 95
Finally received the chassis from Italy, shipment was stuck in France for a week but arrived in Miami yesterday. Ready to start the Dual Mono Build, looking forward to it. I will post pictures as I go, will be slow start as I have a few Work trips coming up.

I also attached the latest Power Connection drawing, swapped the Connections on both Fuses (line input on center connection and Line out to side connection) thank ZenMod for the Comment.

Greeting from Sunny Miami,

Max

Man I'm jealous of how nice and tidy your workbench is. Happy building!

Joined 2019
Paid Member
Brilliant. I have the tiniest of suggestions. It's mostly for the benefit of others since your work will likely be used by many that follow.

These old eyes with this monitor ... at this resolution ... at this distance saw a CL-60 across your mains live/neutral at the switch. Then I zoomed in to see that you had it labeled properly as your safety cap.

Would you consider changing the symbol / outline slightly and perhaps color it blue along with including the notation of X1/Y1. Many of those caps, but not all, that people order will be blue in color, and they do need to be mains safety rated.

Once again... just beautiful work. You've unknowingly likely helped a number of future DIYers.

Most importantly, start slinging some solder! Have fun, and enjoy the tunes.

:cheers:

Transformer/ Amplifier Board Distance Question

Hello All,

I started dry layout today for Dual Mono Aleph J, and I have a question regarding the distance between the Transformer and the Amplifier Board.

- Mounting the transformers side by side will be better for the wiring but the the transformer casing will be about 1 1/2 inch (38.1mm) away for the AMP PCB. (I can gain another 1/2" (12.7mm) if I use Shorter Stand-off behind the PCB and put the Transformer housings closer together)

- I also have the option to mount them back to back but wiring will be more complicated (see pictures)

- The transformers are both shielded (Antek - AS-2218) and will be mounted in a steel enclosure (Antek - AN-200)

I ordered a 5U Chassis and was thinking to use the extra height to elevate the Base Plate, this way I can run all power wiring below it and keep it away from the Electronics area.

Any input will be much appreciated.

Greetings from Miami.

Max

Attachments

• Trafo BtB 2.jpg
    Trafo BtB 2.jpg
    933.2 KB · Views: 201
  • Trafo SbS 2.jpg
    Trafo SbS 2.jpg
    897.8 KB · Views: 192
  • Elevated Mounting Platform 2.jpg
    Elevated Mounting Platform 2.jpg
    556.4 KB · Views: 189
Since it is PSU day today, here is one DC section of my PSU prototype finished, sans chassis gnd/loop breaker.

Ripple is not my concern. Exciting stuff will be whether loops are under control. We will see. Intention was for 0v tapping section to be even further from the equalizing currents between last two caps, but other stuff dictated the distance. If noisy I just have to make a new ground plane, simple as that.

Also, due to same circumstances, bridge wires are a bit long. Maybe I’ll shorten later.

Anyways, for prototype, pretty happy.

After gnd is connected I will test under load. Excited about ripple, modelled to very low, lets see what the real world says. Also possible loop areas as well as inductors in line (but not imminently close) to amp circuitry. We will see :)

Quite a lot of gear stuffed into that space, kinda excited it all fits nicely.

Edit: been in the making inside my head for 7 months, so quite rewarding to finally see it. Will it work the wonders i hope? Maybe. If not, this is an excellent opportunity to learn and perfect. And if it’s not perfect first time around? Who the heck cares. I did this.

Regards
Andy

Attachments

• 296ADE2B-AD2D-430B-B25F-1E9CB38C8020.jpeg
    296ADE2B-AD2D-430B-B25F-1E9CB38C8020.jpeg
    235.9 KB · Views: 89
  • E2EBC6B6-E1CF-4CF1-898D-33F8A1C7D434.jpeg
    E2EBC6B6-E1CF-4CF1-898D-33F8A1C7D434.jpeg
    329.5 KB · Views: 90
  • AFA06C68-3705-4B90-B32E-91A1DFFD4E9C.jpeg
    AFA06C68-3705-4B90-B32E-91A1DFFD4E9C.jpeg
    284.9 KB · Views: 84
  • 1D4D8CE4-A6A5-4144-8E90-69AF9A21EF7B.jpeg
    1D4D8CE4-A6A5-4144-8E90-69AF9A21EF7B.jpeg
    304.5 KB · Views: 93
  • 9A0A6B0E-5902-47E6-AB4D-390793E97589.jpeg
    9A0A6B0E-5902-47E6-AB4D-390793E97589.jpeg
    298.7 KB · Views: 132
  • 16F8BAE7-82C4-4CBF-B96C-57590F680AF3.jpeg
    16F8BAE7-82C4-4CBF-B96C-57590F680AF3.jpeg
    448.6 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
I’ve just finished my Aleph J.

What beautiful sound!

I built a couple of ACAs which I really liked. This is big step up.

With the recommended 400mv bias I’m getting 52 - 53 degrees on the heatsinks with an ambient temperature of about 25 degrees. Probably slightly higher than ideal at that temperature, but within the bounds of ‘okay’? My enclosure is a Chinese sourced unit with heatsinks about ten per cent smaller than the 4U.

The only problem with the build occurred when turning the amp on for the first time. One channel was fine. The other: no current on the bias resistor. A heart sinking moment - crap! I’ve done it wrong, and I don’t know nearly enough to figure out what I’ve done wrong. Gathered my thoughts and checked the DC offset: yikes - 24 volts. Once I’d dialled that back all was well.

I cannot believe what a magical sound I’m getting. Holographic, crystal clear, yet not a hint of harshness. The Aleph J is driving a pair of Alpair 7MSs, with a Gainclone taking care of a pair of Jordan JX125s. I’m crossing over at 180Hz, using a MiniDSP.

Thanks to all who’ve contributed with advice and guidance, especially newbie power supply questions. And big thanks to Nelson Pass for such a gift of musical joy.

Aleph photo 1.jpg

Aleph photo 2.jpg