Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Aleph J illustrated build guide
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th February 2019, 11:29 AM   #3401
FengLiu is offline FengLiu
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger Mouse View Post
No one for a Rigorous reply
Then me again

I would suggest you try to look in the www for a Explanation

Search for:

How do a Differential pair works
JFET bias
CCS for LongTailed Pair / differential amp

Some Basics that can give you a answer
Nothing Nelson Pass has invented.
So no reason to stop him from doing important work

Everyone knows that it is difficult to explain the circuit of the Nielsen Pass with textbooks. Can you explain? ? I also have the basics of these textbooks. If you can't explain it, don't talk about it. . . . . .
Old 11th February 2019, 01:35 PM   #3402
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Moderator

The input stage is a classic differential amplifier with a CCS (constant current source) on the positive rail.

R8 controls current through the pair.

R7 controls the DC operating point of the positive output node, and hence the DC offset further down the circuit, as this amplifier is DC coupled.
Old 11th February 2019, 11:34 PM   #3403
TonyTecson is offline TonyTecson  Philippines
diyAudio Moderator

dc coupled = no coupling caps between stages...
and when you do that, dc levels from the stage is looking at the base or gate of the next device....and you will have to do something about it..
Old 11th February 2019, 11:39 PM   #3404
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FengLiu View Post
Everyone knows that it is difficult to explain the circuit of the Nielsen Pass with textbooks. Can you explain? ? I also have the basics of these textbooks. If you can't explain it, don't talk about it. . . . . .
we were all newbies once, when there is a word or a phrase that i do not understand, i highlight it with my mouse and then right click, search google, that is my little secret how i learned a lot of things, and you can too...do not take things personal....

edit: we are all here to help, but you should help yourself too...
Old 11th February 2019, 11:49 PM   #3405
Blk Dynamite is offline Blk Dynamite  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTecson View Post
we were all newbies once, when there is a word or a phrase that i do not understand, i highlight it with my mouse and then right click, search google, that is my little secret how i learned a lot of things, and you can too...do not take things personal....

edit: we are all here to help, but you should help yourself too...
Iím still a newb but was grateful 6L6 was gracious enough to answer my endless questions till I had a better understanding of what I was doing. I think the hardest part of learning this stuff is not knowing the proper term(s) to search on the forum or net. One sentence could have 3 different terms and a newb like me had to learn how to correctly search for each phrase/concept, understand them, then move to the next just to understand a sentence or two.
Old 11th February 2019, 11:57 PM   #3406
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blk Dynamite View Post
Iím still a newb but was grateful 6L6 was gracious enough to answer my endless questions till I had a better understanding of what I was doing. I think the hardest part of learning this stuff is not knowing the proper term(s) to search on the forum or net. One sentence could have 3 different terms and a newb like me had to learn how to correctly search for each phrase/concept, understand them, then move to the next just to understand a sentence or two.
yes to this....even if i read the textbooks over and over again, having someone to talk it with and applying it with real work, makes learning faster...that is why when i discovered this board many many years ago, i stayed on....i learned a lot of things here than in my 5 years of college....
Old 12th February 2019, 06:35 PM   #3407
Danger Mouse is offline Danger Mouse  Germany
diyAudio Member

Had nothing to to with newbie or not.
I thought about to explain it. (at least as far as I understood it)

Maybe its my bad english. But the way the question was asked...
...in germany no one will get a answer this way.

Sounds like... Here i am, i want an answer...
...then i think -> go and look for yourself.

A question like:

I`ve no idea how this or that works. I`ve looked in the www. found something but
i do get it. can some help or explain?

Will get another response from me.
Old 12th February 2019, 09:33 PM   #3408
astromo is offline astromo  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger Mouse View Post
Had nothing to to with newbie or not.
I thought about to explain it. (at least as far as I understood it)

Maybe its my bad english. But the way the question was asked...
...in germany no one will get a answer this way.

Sounds like... Here i am, i want an answer...
...then i think -> go and look for yourself.

A question like:

I`ve no idea how this or that works. I`ve looked in the www. found something but
i do get it. can some help or explain?

Will get another response from me.

I work in a similar way. Some explanation of the journey that includes giving those with the knowledge an understanding of what the query holder understands helps a lot. It means that redundant advice is not offered and the query holder is likely to get a useful answer with less fuss.
Old 12th February 2019, 10:31 PM   #3409
aljordan is offline aljordan  United States
diyAudio Member

Hello all,

The Aleph J that I built gives a bit too much presence and zing in the upper mids / lower treble with my speakers (Klipsch Forte II). I've built a pair of ACAs and and an M2, which both work very well with the speakers. Maybe it is just how the Aleph J sound with the Forte II, but I am wondering if swapping some caps or other part might mellow the amp a bit.

I built the amp pretty much according to the BOM linked in the beginning of the thread. For the power supply, I used a 300 VA 18 volt Antec transformer, and eight 22,000 uf 35 volt Cornell Dubilier caps on the store's board, using packaged bridge rectifiers recommended elsewhere on the Pass threads. It is very similar to the power supply I used on the M2.

Maybe the amp is supposed to have this quality to the highs, but if anyone has any ideas, I'd enjoy trying some suggestions.

Thanks,
Alan
Old 12th February 2019, 10:36 PM   #3410
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Honestly have never heard of somebody wanting to mellow out an Aleph...

Try with some different speakers to determine if it’s the amp or the interaction of the amp and those particular speakers, as you might suspect.

Aleph J illustrated build guideHide this!Advertise here!