Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Aleph J illustrated build guide
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old Yesterday, 06:16 PM   #3181
Russellc is offline Russellc  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlv81 View Post
I also like this idea. Would you suggest using IEC power inlets and matching power cable to unplug it from one amp to another or something else?

Thanks
Originally, from tube days, I have some plugs that are basically like the bottom of an octal tube. I was going then put octal tube sockets on backs of amps. Then I saw Eric's separate power supplies and decided to copy his idea. I think it was neutrik or something similar?

I suppose IEC could work as well, does fine bringing it in from wall....but might be easy to plug regular power cord into amp with no power supply....that wouldn't work out well....

Russellc
Old Yesterday, 09:42 PM   #3182
kstagger is offline kstagger  United States
diyAudio Member

I paid about what 6L6 suggested for my build - maybe closer to $750 with shipping costs, taxes, etc.

Toroidal transformer from Antek, as far as I know, is the best bang for the buck. Deluxe 4U chassis may cost more than a homebrew solution, but it does save in frustration since the PCB / output device holes are pre-drilled/tapped.

The other expense that comes to mind- where I save a few $$$ and spent a few $$$ more are the bevy of .47ohm / 3W resistors. Ordering from Mouser I went with KOAs which were cheaper than the recommended Panasonic. But for the power supply caps, I went with "Audio Grade" Nichicons which aren't the least expensive but not exotic either. And the caps are gold!! Gold!!!

Click the image to open in full size.
Old Today, 12:51 PM   #3183
Bfpca is offline Bfpca  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I also like this idea. Would you suggest using IEC power inlets and matching power cable to unplug it from one amp to another or something else?

Thanks
I wouldn’t recommend IEC connectors for transfer of low voltage ac or dc between power supply and the amplifier. It’s just too easy for someone to plug the amp directly into the wall and put 120 or 240vac into it.
On my F5 monoblock build I used Neutrik speakon connectors. You could always just use a terminal strip as long as you were careful with polarity.
Old Today, 03:38 PM   #3184
vlv81 is offline vlv81  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Neutrik sounds good. Readily available locally ��
Old Today, 04:59 PM   #3185
teodorom is offline teodorom  Italy
diyAudio Member

Hi,
I hope that I'm hot bothering you. Again on fins size.
On page Aleph J – diyAudio Store a 60cm2 of finned heatsink per output transistor, that is for each channel.
On the other side a 3U/300 Pesante dissipante has approx 2,500 of finned heatsink for each channel.
Let me guess that's enough.
On the other side a 3U/300 is large just enough:
I tried to better understand how it works using an LTSpice simulation:
but I've got unreliable results.
I hope I have made some stupid mistake, but I fear that I'm using ureliable transistor models.
Anyboy tried this?
Thanks
Old Today, 05:36 PM   #3186
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Neutrik sounds good. Readily available locally ��
Very nice and easy to use. My F5 build is dual mono with two power cords and I used them for that in Homemade chassis, Also on one of my BA3 FE builds.

Russellc
Old Today, 05:45 PM   #3187
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teodorom View Post
Hi,
I hope that I'm hot bothering you. Again on fins size.
On page Aleph J – diyAudio Store a 60cm2 of finned heatsink per output transistor, that is for each channel.
On the other side a 3U/300 Pesante dissipante has approx 2,500 of finned heatsink for each channel.
Let me guess that's enough.
On the other side a 3U/300 is large just enough:
I tried to better understand how it works using an LTSpice simulation:
but I've got unreliable results.
I hope I have made some stupid mistake, but I fear that I'm using ureliable transistor models.
Anyboy tried this?
Thanks
No bother, no question no learn. I have Deluxe 4 and find it fine, even in summer but it does stay in A/C house. Anything smaller is going to get hot.

How hot? Wont know until you try. Most everyone here is 4U minimum. Look at Zenmods "Babysitter" if yours gets to warm, i.e., cant hold hands on over 5 second rule. A fan like in Babysitter can make up for a lot of sink.

Seems to me heatsink height plays more important role than heatsink length. Speaking of length, make sure those small sinks will at least accommodate the Aleph J boards.

I figure it may work with a Babysitter arrangement, but if too hot, get larger chassis and use that one for something else. Definitely plan on Babysitter.

Russellc
Old Today, 10:52 PM   #3188
astromo is offline astromo  Australia
diyAudio Member

I've ordered a 5U Deluxe.

My thinking was:
- I've got the space
- Marginal cost increase so no big financial drama
- Never hurts to have a bit of performance margin when it comes to cooling

On that last point, I'm not a fan of fans. My thoughts are that reliability and moving parts aren't great friends. And yes I know fans are generally pretty good but as Henry Ford is reported to have said, "What you don't fit, can't break."
Old Today, 10:54 PM   #3189
6L6 is online now 6L6  United States
diyAudio Moderator

As Nelson says, "You can't have heatsinks that are too big!"

It will serve you well. Lots of room makes for easy construction.

Aleph J illustrated build guideHide this!Advertise here!