Aleph J illustrated build guide

I am planning my Aleph J Zen build :)
And I need a quad of LSJ74 for that, and they are out of stock at diyAudio store.
So looking to buy Toshiba 2SJ74 from punkydawgs on eBay.

Can you please help me with some questions to be sure:
1. Two pairs are as good as a quad for AJ Zen, do not need to match between channels, right?
2. Is GR grade (Idss ranging from 2.6-6.5) even better than BL grade (Idss 6.0-12.0)?

Thanks

An integrated BA3 preamp with Alephj

Here some pictures of an integrated BA3 preamp with Alephj in a 5U chassis.
It is controlled by a touchscreen or remote control. I've used an older Apple TV remote, small and not too expensive.
5 input channels, each configurable for balanced or unbalanced.
LS protection and error monitoring.
Preamp can be bypassed and powered down for inputs connected with high output sources.
Volume control on the amplifier is done with a rotary encoder (or remote). Left and right channel have seperate stepped attenuators, 128dB range, 0.5dB steps, so balance control is possible.
All the amp functions are controlled with a ESP32. Input selection relays, stepped attenuators, bypass, bal/unbal are controlled via a single I2C bus.
As always SW is behind the HW, need still a lot of programming, especially the display's configuration screen. :p

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    413.1 KB · Views: 289
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    431.7 KB · Views: 294
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    302.4 KB · Views: 281
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    350 KB · Views: 250
That is brilliant! I love it! Congratulations on a beautiful product. :)

It is controlled by a touchscreen or remote control. I've used an older Apple TV remote, small and not too expensive.
Preamp can be bypassed and powered down for inputs connected with high output sources.
Volume control on the amplifier is done with a rotary encoder (or remote). Left and right channel have seperate stepped attenuators, 128dB range, 0.5dB steps, so balance control is possible.
All the amp functions are controlled with a ESP32. Input selection relays, stepped attenuators, bypass, bal/unbal are controlled via a single I2C bus.
As always SW is behind the HW, need still a lot of programming, especially the display's configuration screen. :p

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I am planning my Aleph J Zen build :)
And I need a quad of LSJ74 for that, and they are out of stock at diyAudio store.
So looking to buy Toshiba 2SJ74 from punkydawgs on eBay.

Can you please help me with some questions to be sure:
1. Two pairs are as good as a quad for AJ Zen, do not need to match between channels, right?
2. Is GR grade (Idss ranging from 2.6-6.5) even better than BL grade (Idss 6.0-12.0)?

Thanks

for Aleph J - BL grade, pair per channel, no need to match them between channels

for J2, BL Grade, two pairs per channel, no need to match them between channels

if you by AJ Zen think on pictures of my small pcb, few pages back, there is just one pair of JFets per channel - other 2pcs of TO-92 are BC546 cascodes

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member

Fugly!

:clown:

Thanks all, i'm retired, I've work in a design department for communication equipment. Digital stuff is separated from the analog circuits. The few direct connections between the 2 is via opto couplers. Transfo's and digital are on the front side, seperated with a big mumetal plate. Amp is very quiet.

Another ZM version AJ spotted!

Hey all..

Another Zen Mod AJ nearing completion! I was fortunate enough to be provided a set of ZM AJ boards to participate in an experiment. We'd be attempting to answer the question: Is is possible for a noob to successfully build an Aleph J without excessive confusion, headaches, teeth gnashing, or other calamities?

Yes!! The answer is a resounding YES. Even someone who knows ALMOST nothing can pull this off. Ok, truth be told, I asked a LOT of questions of pFarrell, and 6L6 who were kind enough to answer all my questions.. Boards built up beautifully, were easy to set offset and bias.. and my AJ sounds amazing.

This journey started about a year ago for me with the Whammy. I really enjoyed the build, however I started itching to buy a set of descent speakers and a build a power amp. Patrick and Jim worked tirelessly putting this plan together for me..

I still have to button some things up, the LED wires leading to the front face are really janky and need to be finalized, but I'm absolutely loving the sound. Listening to the AJ via vintage Hersey I speakers, my Whammy as a pre, Schitt Modi DAC, and Tidal for source.

Thanks very much to everyone on this forum.. Particularly pFarrell, 6L6, Zen Mod, and Papa Pass!

Attachments

• 63970287283__A9D6317F-78A4-4BF3-92A3-7A4366C5F628.jpg
    63970287283__A9D6317F-78A4-4BF3-92A3-7A4366C5F628.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 233
  • 63970288499__8DD9B006-F9CD-4F58-8940-D86A97D560FE.jpg
    63970288499__8DD9B006-F9CD-4F58-8940-D86A97D560FE.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 245
  • 63970290022__590DA64D-3E2B-4A02-A492-94218B0689F9.jpg
    63970290022__590DA64D-3E2B-4A02-A492-94218B0689F9.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 248
  • IMG_8721.jpg
    IMG_8721.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 243
  • IMG_8723.jpg
    IMG_8723.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 246
  • 63970285145__B4E9BFA3-147D-4920-8918-C0665A33009C.jpg
    63970285145__B4E9BFA3-147D-4920-8918-C0665A33009C.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hey all..

Another Zen Mod AJ nearing completion! I was fortunate enough to be provided a set of ZM AJ boards to participate in an experiment. We'd be attempting to answer the question: Is is possible for a noob to successfully build an Aleph J without excessive confusion, headaches, teeth gnashing, or other calamities?

Yes!! The answer is a resounding YES. Even someone who knows ALMOST nothing can pull this off. Ok, truth be told, I asked a LOT of questions of pFarrell, and 6L6 who were kind enough to answer all my questions.. Boards built up beautifully, were easy to set offset and bias.. and my AJ sounds amazing.

This journey started about a year ago for me with the Whammy. I really enjoyed the build, however I started itching to buy a set of descent speakers and a build a power amp. Patrick and Jim worked tirelessly putting this plan together for me..

I still have to button some things up, the LED wires leading to the front face are really janky and need to be finalized, but I'm absolutely loving the sound. Listening to the AJ via vintage Hersey I speakers, my Whammy as a pre, Schitt Modi DAC, and Tidal for source.

Thanks very much to everyone on this forum.. Particularly pFarrell, 6L6, Zen Mod, and Papa Pass!

damn greenhorns!

unbolt those heatsinks, and rotate them for 180deg

you can do that even without undoing wires, carefully

then you'll have your Fugly!, if you upload some pics of higher resolution ...... for us Geezers

:rofl:

edit: or just exchange places of top and bottom lid ..........or mount set of feet on top lid, so you can rotate it by wish

that's my newest invention - how to correct amp's phase and also using it as Peltier element

:rofl:

Last edited: