Aleph J illustrated build guide

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Are R12 and R13 supposed to be 2210 ohms or 221 ohms?

R9, R10, R11, R12, R13 are all 221 ohm

The Dale resistors are sometimes marked with omega or K or M, and other times they are not - then they are 3 digit and multiplier, so 2210 is 221 with 0 zeros behind it, or 21 ohm. (And by that example 2211 would be 2.21K)

If in doubt measure.

And you are measuring every resistor before soldering, right?? :)

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Hook up your meter set to DC volts across the source resistor on the output fets (R18 is fine)

Plug in the amp, hook to variac, turn on.

Turn up voltage slowly. If the meter reads more than 0.4V during this process, turn the amp off. Note the variac voltage that this occurs.

To all of you, my hearty thanks!

ZM, I heard you when you said readings would be screwy but I did not know the range for screwy. With hard to find matched FETS on the line, I had to stop until I could be sure. First build has me all kinds of unsure. Just lost my job too so there is no second chance for some time to come. So again, big thanks for your data and especially your patience. I AM learning ;-)

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
ZM, I was just trying to add to that with a little explanation of why he was seeing odd behavior. Sorry if my dodo comment offended.

no offense taken ........ even if my Dodo comment can imply that ;) *

To all of you, my hearty thanks!

ZM, I heard you when you said readings would be screwy but I did not know the range for screwy. With hard to find matched FETS on the line, I had to stop until I could be sure. First build has me all kinds of unsure. Just lost my job too so there is no second chance for some time to come. So again, big thanks for your data and especially your patience. I AM learning ;-)

*what I'm trying to say - it's better for you to ask for clarification and you'll get it , instead to work anything without being sure what you're doing .

that way is safer and better in any way

so - ask if needed , as long you need to get a picture

:cheers:

PKI

Joined 2011
Paid Member
So I just finished another AJ for my friend. I was using boards from the store and 4U chassis. Everything as in original schematics. PSU: +/- 22V under load, bias is 850mA per pair. The amp started with no problem. No hum -- super quiet, measures perfectly, I like aleph J!
There is one but, however, it is super quiet (music). Sounds superb, but I have to turn the volume all the way up to get moderate/low level. It is much much quieter than all my FW diy amps. I was making AJ when we were testing these boards and that amp was loud! Any ideas what can it be? Just have no ideas coz it measures so good and sounds perfect... (Yep I jumpered -in and gnd)
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Nope.

The dale are 3-digit and multiplier.

2213 is 221000 or 221K
2212 is 22100 or 22.1K

under 100ohm will have a R at the decimal, so a 22.1ohm will be 22R1

The F signifies 1%

I can't make out the color on the stripey one, It looks like orange red yellow gold - 320K ??