Aleph J illustrated build guide

PKI

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Thanks ZM! I am not that bad ;-) one local guy asked me to come and help him to fire up his amp. There are no other resistors at his place. That's the thing. I will go and check local radio store tomorrow.

If it was my amp I would try to improvise and probably fire it up without the resistor, but the amp is not mine :)

Setting bias, choosing inputs ?

Hi.

Speaking af inputs, i was wondering the following ::

1. Do i have to short both +IN ans -IN to GND when setting ?, or does it matter at all ?

2. What is the difference of using -IN or +IN and GND for normal RCA inputs ? (I see a C1 cap at -IN, whats the use of that)

// Jesper

Aleph J fro, scratch part II - Stuffing and testing

Hi..

Please look at direct link to photobucket, as the pictures are getting weird, when linked direct here.

I must say, that i am a little impressed by this amp. I tried to give it 1v/pp ~1000Hz sine, at the input. Looking at the output, it (gains) 8 times the input.

I tried to crank up the inputvoltage, giving it more volts, ended up with the Aleph J clipping at approx. 30-35v/pp :vampire:

This is excatly what the manual says... :cool:

Next part is to listen to it.

// Jesper

Aleph J From Scratch Slideshow by Jesperlykke | Photobucket

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
The Greens are low on the Idss scale, so not ideal. With a few mods to the circuit they could be made to work, but if they have the Blue, then use those.

Edit - I just saw Zen Mod's post - paralleling greens is a perfectly good idea. You just need more of them. :)

GR - green
BL - blue
V - violet

That is Toshiba's code for Idss range