Aleph J illustrated build guide

Start by posting some in-focus, well-lit photos. :)
Well, i'am going to try to be clear.
- Amplifier and PSU PCBs come from DIYaudio Store. J74 JFETs too;
- The 400 VA trans come from TOROIDY;
- Other parts from Mouser.

Some pictures are attached.

Problems :
- I soldered ZTX450, 550 and Led 2 in the wrong way --> I changed it. And now it work a little bit better;
- But, Q5 and Q6 are hot (normal), Q7 and Q8 remain cold. Input DC from PSU is -24 V / +24 V. The two leds are shinning. Output DC value is -20 V. The problem is the same for the two amplifier modules.

Do have any idea why Q7 and Q8 remain cold ?

Regards

biasing procedure - did you read beginning of the thread ?

negative DC offset on output means that lower mosfet is wide open , so you need to decrease resistance of R7' (trimpot)

if everything else is OK
OK. Initially did biasing procedure but i didn't turn the pot enough.
Yesterday i tryed again and now all the mosfet are hot. But the DC output is very unstable +-1.5 V around 0. Is it normal ?
Thanks for your help

Attachments

• IMG_0146 (1457 x 1092).jpg
    IMG_0146 (1457 x 1092).jpg
    405.2 KB · Views: 574
  • IMG_0147 (1457 x 1092).jpg
    IMG_0147 (1457 x 1092).jpg
    445.9 KB · Views: 570
Variac

Hey guys, almost done with my build. I wired up the boards and power supply yesterday and just need to finish my rear panel cutouts and then connect to the RCA connections and my speaker connections. My question is about turning it on for the first time. I have read about the light bulb method but I also have a variac called Dial A Volt. This thing is old, had it since I was a kid. If I used the variac, what should I look for if the power supply is not connected correctly? I was going to connect a volt meter to the V+ and another volt meter to the V-. Start turning it up and see if I get a voltage output. When should I start seeing a voltage output or better yet when should I stop turning it up if I don't see any voltage output? Or should I just stick with the light bulb method? Thanks for your help.
John