beating the heat with flying leads

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am doing the groundwork for my first scratch build of a Pass class A amp: the Aleph J. 'Lots of great pictures on the Pass forum of various builds but no one seems to use flying leads from the output transistors to the boards to keep the boards away from the heat sinks:confused:: why?

flying close

Thanks Danger Mouse and flg for the answers!

It would be no big deal to solder the gate resistors directly to the gate pins but I guess it would look messy to someone/anyone who ever looked at it ;-)

There seems to be no prohibition against using flying leads for the rectifiers; this affords me a chance to mount them to the sub-chassis (which is electrically and thermally isolated in my design, made of .125 inch aluminium and festooned with 10, 2.5 x 2.5 inch slim profile heat sinks from the scrapyard :) saving me $25 for 8 tiny heat sinks that would fit the board.

These flying leads would only be 4 inches of perhaps 6 strands of 22ga or maybe some 15ga silver I have laying around...'Got to get the heat away from everything I can. After all, the labor is free :spin:

If I chicken out and go conventional, what would be the highest I could raise the board containing the output transistors (IRFP240s) off from the heat sinks...0.5 inches???

You can go at least an inch or two. Look back at some of the early Aleph clones. Often there were boards which held the output devices, source and gate resistors a couple of inches away from the front end board.

As for putting the gate resistors on the gate terminal, there is a way to do it neatly. I use a strand from stranded hookup wire to tie the flying leads and gate resistor to the terminals before soldering. That way the leads lay nicely. To make it look a bit more finished slip a bit of heat shrink tube over the solder joints. I'm going to set up another set soon, I'll post pictures.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.