How can I use this Transformer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was hoping to use this for a Pass/First Watt amp, but I'm not sure how to use the secondaries for the most current. It was made by Zhongshan Huiran, can't find specs for VA but secondaries are 42v-39v-0-39v-42v, and it weighs 5.2kgs. Any suggestions on wiring the secondaries and a suitable amp design?

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    350.4 KB · Views: 255
I was hoping to use this for a Pass/First Watt amp, but I'm not sure how to use the secondaries for the most current. It was made by Zhongshan Huiran, can't find specs for VA but secondaries are 42v-39v-0-39v-42v, and it weighs 5.2kgs. Any suggestions on wiring the secondaries and a suitable amp design?

According to its dimensions and weight, your transformer should have a power rating of 500VA or a bit more. It doesn't fit First Watt projects yet due to its high secondary voltages.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Cascoded F5 with lower bias (for less heat sinking) might be run on close to 50V rails. You might drag it down a few volts by winding on more windings in the opposite direction and using extra R or L in a CRC or CLC if you're desperate to do something with it.

But having said that, ideally one should design the amp for the intended speaker load.

If you wire the primaries in series - as if for 230V operation you get a lower voltage on the secondaries.

21 - 20 - 0 - 20 - 21

Which would be more useful to you unless you are going down the Class AB or above route. Unfortunately you will lose a bit of the power rating in the process but you could safely use it as a 250VA transformer in this configuration. It all depends on the gauge of the winding wire.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.