Starting to build my first F5 Turbo V3

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Slow going on the F5TV3 build. I am in the process of collecting all the parts. I have also built a MOSFET match/tester. Hope to match the MOSFETs this weekend.

I have decided to go with liquid cooling. I have attached a photo of the cold plate. It is 4" x12" x 1/4" copper plate (4 pounds!) plus the 3/4" copper plumbing. More to follow.....

Any recommendations for a good/cheap 1.5kVA 2X32v toroid? ANTEK?

Attachments

• IMG_1981.jpg
    IMG_1981.jpg
    740.8 KB · Views: 1,134
You heatsink design

It will be interesting to see the thermal gradient of the copper plate, measured near the MOSFETs at the "water entry" and "water exit" ends (i.e., the plate will become hotter and less effective on the right side, assuming the water flows from left to right in your picture......that's part of the problem with many water manifold designs).

It will be interesting to see the thermal gradient of the copper plate, measured near the MOSFETs at the "water entry" and "water exit" ends (i.e., the plate will become hotter and less effective on the right side, assuming the water flows from left to right in your picture......that's part of the problem with many water manifold designs).

I am planning to have a thermal sensor both at the entrance and exit of the cold plate. I have a 1.25 hp hot oil pump that can move 25 gal per minute ( only half kidding). I suspect that the flow rate will overcome the mosfet heat dissipation.

I Vgs matched the Vishay IFR240s and 9240s and now have my two matched quads of each. The copper coldplate is done also.

I have 12 of each of the 240 and 9240 up for grabs, matched within 100 mV, if anyone is interested. I don't know what ask for them, so if you are interested make me an offer. If they don't sell, I will RMA them back to the wholesaler.

Attachments

• IMG_1983.jpg
    IMG_1983.jpg
    756.6 KB · Views: 1,022
  • IMG_1984.jpg
    IMG_1984.jpg
    522.9 KB · Views: 951
i would be carefull with this PSU's. rectifiers without heatsinking in class A amps is a very very bad idea.

Understood. My plan was to move the bridge rectifiers off of the PCB. I am unsure though about how much heat is dispated and thus how much heatsink is needed. Maybe I need another copper cold plate just for the bridges? Any thoughts?

http://www.fairchildsemi.com/ds/DF/DFB2560.pdf

i allways mount the bridges on the bottom. if it's alu.
and i would use some other bridges. i'm not sure that parallel bridges is a good idea. it must end up with current hogging?
maybe a single 50A bridge is a better idea.

I ordered a pair of 50A bridges, one for each channel. I think that I will build another small cold plate to handle the heat dissipation. Thanks for your help.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.