BA-3 As Preamp

Essentially yes. The Jfets self-bias, as based on their Idss, and the Mosfets bias via the pots.

You an change the bias of the Jfet by changing the source resistance, but it's easier to just use them in the proper Idss range - anyting from 7.0-11.0 will work with no issues.

So if you have Jfets with a Idss of say 6.5mA for example, does that mean you will automatically read 65mV across R3 and R4?

If 8-10mA is recommended for passing through Q1 & Q2, shouldn't you be reading 80-100mV across R3 and R4?

Is it even possible to bias a Jfet with a Idss of 6.5mA to 8mA by lowering the source resistors below 10 ohms?

What's so special about a shunt regulator vs. a regulator like the LM317/337?

Thanks...

Sounds like I am going to let 6L6 find out before I try the shunt reg. C'mon 6L6, we all got our BA-3s built now we need to tear them apart again!

Seriously, I have been looking at the Salas shunt:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/power-supplies/153484-using-hypnotize-general-shunt-reg-pcb.html

And the kubota:

Kubota Low Noise Regulator Full Blown Version Kit | eBay

And this shunt reg:

Low Impedance 500mA Class A Shunt Regulator Kit | eBay

But I just bought a Rega P5 so I'll probably play with that for a while till I get some motivation to work on the BA3 again.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
What's so special about a shunt regulator vs. a regulator like the LM317/337?

Thanks...

you can take shunt reg as A class amplifier , while (any ) series reg is B classs amp

one of important things is that shunt reg is bidirectional in nature - it can sink current , same as giving it

take a look at :Pumpkin: Cook Book ; if not much about general characteristics of shunt regs , something is written about operation of one

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Class-A amps have all the power running all the time and release it to the speakers. Class-AB have to modulate the power from the PSU.

It's the same for Shunt regs vs. series regs.

(Yes, the descriptions of operation are paraphrase, but you get the idea...)

But I just bought a Rega P5 so I'll probably play with that for a while till I get some motivation to work on the BA3 again.

Sounds like you need to build a Pearl. :) :D

Last edited: