BA-3 As Preamp

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
A note about P3 -

I do have a distortion analyzer and have made a few quick observations around the adjustment of P3.

The Jfets were reasonably matched Idss from N to P (Within 0.1mA) Mosfets were unmatched. Bias set to 1.0V across Mosfet source resistors and DC offset tuned to minimum before the output capacitor.

I set P3 to it's mid-point before installation, making it about even from pin 1-2, and from pin 2-3. (Roughly 50ohm each way.)

Long story made short - using the distortion meter to tune for minimum distortion made some difference, but not enough to worry about. From .025% L and 0.19%R with the pot just set, and I could tune it down to .015%LR with the distortion meter. Not a huge gain.

I have not done any listening tests past that. Just what's measured so far.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
To be honest, I never liked the B1. …….

my favorite B1 version is the Nelson version with the Axon 10uF and the Vishay 1uF and the +18V rails only.

a bit dark, but I like it really.

I do not like in comparison the direct coupled versions, though they should sound better…..

my last try is the Hypnotize hot rodded I am just trying…..by friendliness of tea-bag!

for me Pumpkin(g) and BA-3 are the optimum also. (at the moment)

:D:D

Joined 2009
Paid Member
A note about P3 -

I do have a distortion analyzer and have made a few quick observations around the adjustment of P3.

The Jfets were reasonably matched Idss from N to P (Within 0.1mA) Mosfets were unmatched. Bias set to 1.0V across Mosfet source resistors and DC offset tuned to minimum before the output capacitor.

I set P3 to it's mid-point before installation, making it about even from pin 1-2, and from pin 2-3. (Roughly 50ohm each way.)

Long story made short - using the distortion meter to tune for minimum distortion made some difference, but not enough to worry about. From .025% L and 0.19%R with the pot just set, and I could tune it down to .015%LR with the distortion meter. Not a huge gain.

I have not done any listening tests past that. Just what's measured so far.

I made the listening test with k3 minimum and around 0.015% distortion and the 0.025 with more k2.

First is more crystalline….

second has more body, it is up to you and your chain….!

I liked the B1, loved my hotrodded DCB1 but found it held no candle to the Aikido 12VAC with 12ua7 tubes (Mullard CV4003) - huge soundstage and full body. Yes there are somethings I miss about my DCB1 but the warmth and soft glow of tubes is attractive. Unfortunately even with the Aikido 8x gain (with 12au7) I still find it lacking in gain so I am going to re-introduce my BA3 with F4 but in its own chassis.

True, but my most prized tubes are 12au7 :) The pairs of CV4003 cost me an arm and a leg but well worth it.

I do have a box of 6922 and 12ax7 enough for several preamps so I might just order another kit from tubecad and try it. But those 12AX7 with 50 gain might be too much and those can get quite noisy.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
please - do not mention 12AX7 in Pass Forum :rofl:

that's same as mentioning 2SK246Y , when needing 2SK369V

:rofl:

disclaimer - all 12AX7 based schematic I saw in last two decades were old school , without taking in account strengths of that tube , while multiplying weak points of it

6DJ8 is good , when used ......... good

edit: conclusion - 12AX7 is for sissies , except in case when sissy is having some brain :devilr:

Sorry for distraction of tubes :0 Back to BA3 and Pass :)

So if I was to go with pair F4 (50watts) what is minimum gain I need? Most seem to recommend 20x gain with stock/single F4. Maybe I should just wait until universal power suply and deluxe 4U chassis become available......decisions decisions....at least many choices :)

Getting real close to firing this thing up.

Question: My output caps currently reside in a jfet boz. Can I start up and bias without the 10uf output caps? I don't see why not.

Attachments

• 20131130_204906_resized.jpg
    20131130_204906_resized.jpg
    461.1 KB · Views: 935
  • 20131130_204847_resized.jpg
    20131130_204847_resized.jpg
    597.4 KB · Views: 925