A guide to building the Pass F4 amplifier

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I think the next PSU is still a month or more away.

Your linked PSU looks good.

You might want to contact member "Peter Daniel" or "Tea-Bag" , they both sell PSU boards - I prefer to support the members before Ebay - it helps all of us, and the forum.

PKI

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Ok, I guess only Pa (and maybe ZM) allowed to post teaser posts here :).
6L6, what is you use both types, ah? :) mount smaller caps on one side and bigger caps on the other :) you need a bit more headroom in your chassis, other from that -- try it :)

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
WithTarragon -

You are wrong. This is what the thread is. It has not degenerated, it is still quite useful.

The guide itself will always be on the top post, where it can be found easily. People building F4 are very welcome to post whatever questions/observations/comments in the thread.

I agree with 6L6, Had it not been for his wonderful guide I would not have started building. I have spent almost 3yrs acquiring the best parts I could find at a reasonable price. Money was not the only problem I had, also mostly it was fear of making a mistake in my build ! 6L6 has mapped it out with super pics which for me is really great. Most of what I read is very hard to understand so I tend to ask a lot of what seems like foolish question's to others. To make a long story short I'm very great-full ! Forever learning Thank-you :eek:Thor61

What is the design criteria for sizing caps in PSU and at what point is bigger a waste of money?
In the power supply section goatee has done a spread sheet for sizing power supply caps. The first cap before a choke or resistors should be limited say 40,000 uf or less this keeps the bank from stressing the diode bridges with huge turn on current . Look at what Goatee has don it fine work for an in depth view. My take on this amp is about 120,000 uf total per voltage leg ( = or -) . However if you use a choke before the largest part of the bank then maybe 200,000 uf . Cost of that much power supply is up to you as for the knee on the curve of ROI bends . Regards