Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

A guide to building the Pass F4 amplifier.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd July 2019, 08:03 PM   #1391
BigE is offline BigE  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal3713 View Post
Certainly not a necessary feature, but you can also most definitely hear things move around (e.g., voices moving to a different place in the soundstage) as you flip the phase.

Does it make things definitively better or worse? Definitely not. Do most sound engineers worry about keeping every single piece of recording in the same phase? Also definitely not. Are placebos useful regardless of objective truth? Definitely.

Every once in a while there's a track where the lead vocals are clearly out of phase and can be corrected, that always feels good when it locks into place.
So when the lead vocals are in the correct polarity, everything else is backwards..... and maybe the desired effect was to reverse the polarity on the vocals?

To my view, this switch is to be used only when the recording company has a habit of recording with polarity reversed.
Old 2nd July 2019, 08:21 PM   #1392
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

frankly , I have difficulties having any idea what's proper orientation of my own head , so I'm just counting on more likeable setting , stopped caring about proper-ity

Old 2nd July 2019, 08:25 PM   #1393
cal3713 is offline cal3713
diyAudio Member

It is the case that my PS4 is consistently out of phase, so that's another good reason to have the option.
Old 14th July 2019, 12:17 PM   #1394
syracuze is offline syracuze  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
There are many positives, absolutely.

The negatives include -

Beat frequency interactions down into the audio band

Radiated noise (RF)

If one fails, the entire other rail will appear on your speaker as DC.

In the time being, issues such as this are why the linear supply will always be the standard.

These are not insurmountable issues, but do require some attention. There's been some look into it, and believe me, I'd love to see something like an interface board in the amp chassis that takes 2 of the external 24v 150w bricks that the ACA uses to make a bipolar, while providing filtering and shutdown protection. No AC wiring at all? That would be great.

However, as soon as you add complexity you add cost, and fairly soon the normal linear PSU doesn't look like a big deal anymore.

You mention a universal chassis where you don't have to worry about the supply - The last couple build guides have been exactly that. Chassis/PSU/Transformer are all the same, I'm just swapping amp PCBs. Works great!

There' no question in my mind that there will be a solution to use SMPS in these projects with minimum or no downside. I'm looking forward to that!

Looking at your linked PSU (MW LRS-200-24) I'm very tempted to get two and just try it.
Thank you 6L6, Zen Mod and Shawnstium for all the info on switching mode supplies. I have entertained the idea for a high bias balanced mono F4s, particularly after seeing Soulution amplifiers with massive switching psus (for what is worth they use Meanwell HRP-600 series with -I guess- RC filters with massive caps)

Life got in the way, no time to start the project. Still, this has been a great read! Thanks!

A guide to building the Pass F4 amplifier.Hide this!Advertise here!