Newbie with lots of questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I take it Tea-bag is the forum member putting the boards together, but what does it mean to be convertible.

It can make a few different versions of the F5Turbo

Yes tell me about, my head hurts.

There is no wrong answer, especially when you have 104db speakers.

Research now.

Build the ACA. Listen to it. (You will love it...) :)

Then once it's done and you are ready to do the next project, decide on which one, and go for it!

What 6L6 said... good advice.

Just to add to your head spinning...
buzzforb may have a F5 turbo Premium kit or two left available from his most recent group buy, it's a nice kit with matched output devices for a nice price. Worth a PM to see. And it looks like TeaBag does have a few boards available at this time.

So contact Teabag for some boards to make a dual output F5, then contact buzzforb to get the premo kits to stuff these boards, then get a tranny, chassis a few other parts and heat up the soldering iron. Oh I guess I would need a PSU as well, we'll get to that point here shortly.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Get a pre-drilled Chassis from the DIY audio store. You can use it for other projects as well later.

There is a million ways to skin the PSU cat... Do you want a PCB or are you going the route of perfboard and/or point to point?

A 400 or 500VA 18v+18 transformer will give you lots of flexibility down the road, and stay mechanically quiet.

Check your email.

As this will be one of my first builds, I will be trying to make things easier. So I will be looking at the pre-drilled chassis from the diystore, though I must say it with my mechanical knowledge it doesn't look like it would take that much to make one. I will all so stick a pcb for the psu, as it to will make things easier. I have contacted both buzzforb and tea-bag as they are both waiting on new stock to arrive.

But as I read through the 3 threads on the f5/f5turbo and another thread or so. It brings up more questions, like what do they mean when they are talking about rails and rail voltages.

This is the part I am learning about too so I hope someone will check me if I misspeak. The rails are what is referred to as the power supplied from the PSU to the output section. and there is a + Positive and a - Negative rail as referenced to ground.. The rail voltage is determined by the secondary voltage of the transformer and applying a math. I don't know detailed calculations, AndrewT and others are the ones for that. But basically it is secondary voltage multiplied by 1.41 for AB and 1.3 for class A. The F5t V2 I am constructing will have 25 volt secondaries that should yield 32 - 32.5 volt rails.

I really like the single ended concept of the F3, but there seems to be a lot more info on the F5, plus there will be some printed circuit cards. As with the f3 there isn't. It looks a F5t is the way to go to drive a 4 ohm load, I just hope it will work ok for a 16 ohm load. I have wondered since the bass bin is efficient, if a regular F5 would work. I was thinking if I like how the F5t sounds with my Khorns I would end up building a total of 3 for vertical Bi amping my L/C/R.

Andrew when you say watch for noise what kind of noise, are you referring if I use the Standard F5, or F5T or just the fact I am using high efficient speakers. Would these noises be eliminated with higher va transformer.

AudioSan, Does it matter if I go with the 600va or 800va transformer.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.