AB100 Class AB Power Amplifier

So noticing some things during testing. First +/- 40vdc rails. Gain is 46dB(not sure why it's so high), Bias is 40ma per trannie. When I do a sweep from 20-20khz bias is stable up to right around 10khz. From 10kHZ-20khz the bias rises to just above 60ma/per and you can smell it warming up somewhere. Is this just because gain is too high? What resistor do I adjust for overall gain? Does it need a comp cap added? do I raise or lower gain resistor to lower gain. This of course testing using sine wave from signal generator set at .1vac

Hi, I reduce gain with R3 - my value = 1K ( 1st post original schematic R3).
I don't have any instability in both of the my AB 100's without C9 - maybe you have an oscillation somewhere? Is there any soldering mistake in resistor values ?
Have you checked the output waveform with the oscilloscope?

So to be more clear. I'm looking at scope images and they look great. I see no signs of oscillation. Is it perhaps that I'm testing with 10-20khz sinewaves at just under clipping? Also there is no load on the output, open circuit. With music signals the levels at those frequencies would be drastically lower. Have you ever tested yours like this and monitored the voltage drop across the emitter resistors?

Ok the latest. I adjusted my overall gain to 26db by raising the feedback resistor from 100 to 1000. The bias is stable up to 100khz and beyond now. Actually have it rigged up on the bench with Epos speaker and sounds pretty good! I'm happy with it so far. What supply rails are people using? This is running on +/- 40vdc

I'm running maggies rated at 4ohm. Would like to push the rails to 50-53ish and get a real 200 watts out of this amp. Anybody think that would be an issue? I'm mounting to a heatsink that could be used for Class A to 25-35 watts. What about input electrolytic cap. I would like to change to polymer film type. How big does it have to be to get descent low frequency.

my two amplifiers have slight differences - one has more output transistors and higher output power...other one has lower emitter resistor values and different VA stage transistors and lower output power...haven't thought about bridging them....no need for that at least for me...but i think its possible.

I have been living with an A40 for 10 years. It is simple and a beautiful sounding amp.
i missed this post ..
What do you think about the AB 100 sound compared to the A40?
I've always liked the a40 - but I never build one..
The AB100 is not as sparkling and sterile as the F5, but has a very good low end -powerful, accurate and not blurry. Mids and highs are more detailed than the Leach amp imho...of course it's a matter of taste - but I like to have many amplifiers stacked on top of each other:D

So just thinking out loud. Anybody think about designing an extra board just for added on capacity of output trannies? Short board with just trannies and emitter resistors base resistors w/connection points to main board for higher power. maybe 2-4 more outputs. I know, I know why don't I do it myself? I do not have any experience with board software.

imho 4 pairs are ok even for 4 ohm...if you need more power - you should rise rail voltage - when you rise voltage - you will need to check the transistors max junction voltage...and this mean you will need ztx 451 small transistors an maybe TIPs will be insufficient...

So I'm basing my info on the SOA charts for the TIP142/47. It shows that my operating point of +/- 48 vdc rails and a collector current of 2 amps apiece just puts it over the SOA curve for the transistor. It works out to be ~68 watts per trannie. I don't know but is that too much for a trannie rated at 125 watts. It is on a oversized heatsink.