AB100 Class AB Power Amplifier

Joined 2013
Paid Member
Not sure which board design you are working with - but here are the original NP and I think the latest Prasi board schematic. Also is a BOM, not exactly spec'd to either board, but easy enough to change the small/medium transistors to those listed on either schematic. Note that the original NP schematic has R3 as 100r, which sets the gain at ~60, pretty high. I have tried 475r, 750r and 1k which set the gain at 46, 29 and 22. In the end I picked 750r, since that's the gain on most of my other amps and pairs well with my Preamp.

Attachments

• AB100 BOM.pdf
    420.8 KB · Views: 116
  • AB100 schematic.gif
    AB100 schematic.gif
    204.6 KB · Views: 305
  • Schematic_Prasi.png
    Schematic_Prasi.png
    121.2 KB · Views: 308
Reactions: 3 users
Joined 2018
Paid Member
Not sure which board design you are working with - but here are the original NP and I think the latest Prasi board schematic. Also is a BOM, not exactly spec'd to either board, but easy enough to change the small/medium transistors to those listed on either schematic. Note that the original NP schematic has R3 as 100r, which sets the gain at ~60, pretty high. I have tried 475r, 750r and 1k which set the gain at 46, 29 and 22. In the end I picked 750r, since that's the gain on most of my other amps and pairs well with my Preamp.

1705851239797.png

Any serious deviations from what Prazi posted in the PDF above? I am about to start building (finally) my AB100....

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2013
Paid Member
Any serious deviations from what Prazi posted in the PDF above? I am about to start building (finally) my AB100....
I don't see any huge issues - you will need (2) of the 1N5404 (your list only has 1 in quantity, but any 3-4A diode will work, I chose the cheapest and works fine.

I preferred to go off the actual schematic, because those transistors I had on hand (MJE340 (Q5), MJE350 (Q6), KSC3503, KSA1381, BC547, BC557). I just printed out the schematic and went through and made the order on Mouser and crossed them off as I put them in my cart, or pulled from my stash.

Attachments

• Schematic_Prasi.png
    Schematic_Prasi.png
    121.2 KB · Views: 135
Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2018
Paid Member

Just double checking all my parts and noticed various opinions on what R3 should be.

I have 1K for R3 and 10R for R35 as per the Prasi schematic?

Will this be alright?

Last edited:
Joined 2018
Paid Member

What difference would any of these make as the 1R emitter resistor?

The KOA Speer BPR58CF1R0J Current Sense Resistors - Through Hole 1 Ohm 5W 5% 350ppm and Vishay / Dale CPF31R0000DKB14 Metal Film Resistors - Through Hole 3watts 1ohms 0.5% have been suggested, but I don't have either.

I have the Ohmite Wirewound Resistors - Through Hole 5W 1 ohm 1% already.

1706451790040.png

Thank you,

David.

Last edited:
Joined 2013
Paid Member
To avoid an additional order, I would try the Ohmmits you have on hand. NP also said earlier anything from 0.33 - 1r emitter resistors is fine - if you have a MOX resistor of those values on hand. I used metal oxide 0.47r 3 watt

I use the cheaper option linked all the time and haven’t had any issues.

Joined 2013
Paid Member
I think it depends on the stability of the amplifier design. Metal oxide tends to be pretty stable, with reasonable cost. Metal film is likely the more stable, however at a much higher price. Wire-wound is the cheapest, but again for most designs is perfectly fine, may have more heat drift of the value.
5% or less is fine, no matching needed.