AB100 Class AB Power Amplifier

Joined 2018
Paid Member
I have several Prasi boards for sale if anyone is interested.

NP AB100 smaller.jpg

They are 2mm boards, 2oz copper, ENIG.

Two boards plus shipping to the USA would be $35.00 USD paid via Paypal.

Two boards plus shipping to Canada would be $40.00 CDN paid via Paypal.

PM me if interested.

Thank you,

David.

+ -50V DC is also mentioned in the original NP mini article.So this is exactly what is needed for this amp. Higher voltage will not work without changes in the circuit - lower voltages will work.
Heat sinks should be quite large if there is a + - 50 VDC power supply ..... As with any serious 100W-120W (8 ohms) or 200W (4 ohms) AB class amplifier.

Well I do have a couple of 30/030Vac transformers that I was saving for an Aleph30 that will do the trick (30*1.4=42) so bellow the max rating of the 142/147.
Now for the heatsink I have seen a few pictures here from members that build it and it ranges from small (osscar) to Class A size from another builder (Vrystaat)
I don't need all the power from the amp but is good to have some headroom for those heavy and difficult part in some music (listen from classic to heavy metal (depending on mood)).

Last edited:
I would not call my heat sinks small - they have a thick base and the overall size is large. They have never even been really warm (only when I put in a 100Khz full signal square wave accidentally :D)
White one running at 38 V and black one at 43 V

Attachments

• DSC09618.jpg
    DSC09618.jpg
    403.7 KB · Views: 749
  • DSC00900.jpg
    DSC00900.jpg
    382.4 KB · Views: 737
Has anyone built the amp with TIP142/TIP147 and +/-50V?
I did. One pair failed during testing.
I have built it with 49V rails and TIP142/47. I ran it for about 2 weeks after I built it with no problems.
That's not surprising. The Darligtons see the difference between the supply rail and the output. If you run your amp at a low output level - which most people do at home - nothing bad happens, because the output is not far from zero volts, and the voltage across output transistors is not much higher than a single supply rail. However, if you run the amp into clipping intentionally or accidentally (say your preamp sends a transient down to AB100, or you connect a cable while the amp is on), there may be a problem.