ACA with Universal Power Supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was considering putting my ACAs in a proper chassis and replacing the laptop power supply to supply the 19v DC. I was considering using the Universal Power Supply from the DIY store. Any advice on how to make this work? What would be the recommended transformer to use? Any modification of parts needed on the PSU to make this work?

ACA sounds great! Thanks

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
It's not really the right board to use... The DIY audio board is a bipolar supply, and the ACA needs a single supply.

Something like Peter Daniel's PCB would be better -- http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/audio-sector/149672-universal-power-supply-pcb.html

One side of his board is all you need.

A 100-200va 14 or 15v transformer, Diodes, a pair of 30,000uf 25v caps and a handful of .47ohm 3W resistors will make essentially half of a Firstwatt -style PSU.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Sadly no. The power supply requirements do not change.

Changing the PSU of an ACA to a linear supply isn't going to do much in the grand scheme of things. The ACA is intended to be a starter amp, and get you some experience in building, listen to a great sounding amp that you built yourself, and as Bill above mentions, the logical next step is build a bigger (and better) amp. :yes:

Last edited:
Joined 2017
Paid Member
Thanks, 6L6, for pointing me the direction to go.

Sadly no. The power supply requirements do not change.

Changing the PSU of an ACA to a linear supply isn't going to do much in the grand scheme of things. The ACA is intended to be a starter amp, and get you some experience in building, listen to a great sounding amp that you built yourself, and as Bill above mentions, the logical next step is build a bigger (and better) amp. :yes:

argh.

ACA is so good I wanted to just make another one, and bridge the 2 for a dual mono (in parallel mode).
Doing an even better amp than ACA at this moment not survive I would :D

No, seriously this time: ACA is great for me to, uhm, develop my skills with chances of not bungling precious parts. And, as you can read in my previous post, I'm far from understanding the basics of all this magic.

But since the universal PSU isn't working for ACA, I have to find out why
And what PSU would be a good "ampcamp-PSU" (Peter Daniel's seems to be unavailable)... I perfectly understand that the brick is good, but I want to learn about building them, and I _try_ not to spend toomuchmoney on parts and modules ("logically priced" ;) ), that's unreasonable :rolleyes:)

I'll see what comes. (F4?)
:drool:

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
You can split the universal PSU board in half (it's designed to be split) and use it to make a linear PSU for ACA. Will work perfectly.

DO price out building an Aleph J or F5 or similar, in comparison. You may find it not all that much more in the grand scheme of things.

Joined 2017
Paid Member
You can split the universal PSU board in half (it's designed to be split) and use it to make a linear PSU for ACA. Will work perfectly.

DO price out building an Aleph J or F5 or similar, in comparison. You may find it not all that much more in the grand scheme of things.

Aah, so I didn’t get it all wrong after all!

(Off topic: I‘m a bit hooked on ACA and F4, why is everybody so inclined on f5 and aleph? F4 too exotic?)

Last edited:

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
F4 has no gain, so you need a preamp that has lots of gain and the ability to swing a lot of volts on the output.

Aside that, the F4 is incredible.

If you don't want to build a dedicated preamp, the BA-3 is a F4 output stage with a gain stage very similar to the F5, and it's absolutely the best of both amps.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.