Aleph 5 - work in progress

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thought it was about time I put some photos of my project on record. Apologies for poor quality, I used the camera on my mobile.

I am now at the stage of having most of the required parts but need a few quiet days to put it together. The box you see is one of two monoblock A5's. These will contain half of the total capacitance used, 104000uF per rail (416000uF total), and the signal electronics. The PSU cases, yet to be designed, will hold a 625VA trafo each and the remaining capacitance along with air-cored 3.3mH inductors. I may cheat with the PSU case and get something pre-made as they are less likely to be on display.

Attachments

• picture(25).jpg
    picture(25).jpg
    12 KB · Views: 1,640
Top plate is an aluminium channel 150mm wide bolted into the directly heatsinks, front back and underside are aluminium sheet. Makes for a simple but sturdy construction. The aim internally will be to keep all interconnections as short as possible.

Thanks to diyaudio for getting me this far.

Special thanks to Nelson Pass for the circuit and his forum input, Harvardian for helping to obtain parts, Brian GT for the excellent PCB from the group purchase last year.

Cheers

Paul

SuppersReady said:

Discussed in this thread

http://diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7903

and also "top ten tips for Aleph" thread.
Thanx, I should use search more ;)
If I have anymore questions I'll put them there (if you don't mind), then there is 1 good topic on external PSUs.

Btw. for some reason your links don't work for me, the urls appear as htpp:/// in the status bar. Just typing it in does work though.

where to buy large can capacitor?

In preparing my Aleph 5 project's parts, I found out it is hard to find any 27,000uf and up, 63V and up, large can capacitor! Even at Mouser and Digi-key, I was not able to find any big one above 50V!

I found the RIFA 33,000uf/100V in the US I can buy is twice the price, if I purchased from Asia and ship here! (I wonder why?)

Can anyone share where can I buy good quality, large can capacitor in the US? (also w/ reasonable price)?

Thanks

Thomas

Done

Hi,
I have completed my remote CLC PSU with 2.5meter 10/4 power cord to link up the amp. see pic here
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=261798#post261798
I've looked into the amphenol connectors, though they look very good but they are rather pricey, so I hard bonded the power cord in both the PSU cabinet and the amp enclosure make sure nothing can move in order to save a couple of hundred bucks. The only problem is when I have to move them, move both the same time, or move one for five feet at a time, they are heavy. And I do not see/have any problem relating long power lines that I read here.

How are yours coming? any progress?
Regards,
Chris

How are yours coming? any progress?

Day off today and no one else at home. I think I smell hot solder! :D Progress slow but I hope to get the heatsinks drilled and tapped for mounting the fets and output boards over the next couple of days.

Right now I'm tinkering with some copper bar for mounting the fets on in order to spread the heat more evenly across the heatsinks.

Following that an unsuspecting Sanyo tuner is to be gutted so that the trafo, caps, and coils can be safely (relatively!!!) mounted for testing the amp boxes.

One day closer!

Regards

Paul

eek!!

Just done a quick adding up of the cost of my Aleph project thus far. Expensive beasts, aren't they. Still going to be fraction of the cost of the real thing though.

I may cheat with the PSU case and get something pre-made as they are less likely to be on display.

Change that to: I WILL cheat with the PSU case and get something pre-made as they are less likely to be on display. Anyone got a good UK source for a pair of 19" cases, at least 3U tall (or something similar)?

Also surprised that I started this project just over 12 months ago, where did the time go?

Regards

Paul

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.