Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Compound Power Amplifiers
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th October 2018, 02:24 PM   #41
Guerilla is offline Guerilla  Denmark
diyAudio Member

I dont have technical insight, but seems interesting. I wonder why there are no replies. Nor positive or negative What are the needs that a compound amp that a VSA or TCA cant cover alone?
Old 9th October 2018, 02:28 PM   #42
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

I'm always saying - I'm lurking all the time ....... but sometimes I'm simply dumb , sometimes I have other cup of tea

Old 9th October 2018, 10:54 PM   #43
Antoinel is offline Antoinel  United States
diyAudio Member

Default A Stereo Compound Amp using Positive Current Feedback

Thank you Zen Mod and Guerilla for your comments. My compound amps are experimental curiosities wherein I search for an improved subjective performance in my listening room. Compound amps are common. For example; the STASIS power output stage of a THRESHOLD amp is a compound amp. It is [a marriage of] a powerful bilateral current source amp which bootstraps a low power bilateral voltage source amp. Others exist.

The bench prototype which I already described in my previous post has been upgraded from mono to stereo operation. Please print the attached schematic and note the following explanations:

1. The STASIS amp [U1] and its OPAmp circuits to the left of the $ sign vertical barrier is considered/taken to be the Left Channel. It is fed with the Left output signal from a CD player.

2. The STASIS amp [U2] and its OpAmp circuits to the right of the $ vertical barrier is the Right Channel of this compound amp. It is fed with the Right
output signal from the same CD player.

3. Positive Current Feedback [PCF] has a strong effect on the low [<200 Hz] audio frequencies which drive the woofer. PCF enhances the damping of the loudspeaker's woofer. Such low frequencies are roughly mono in nature. Thus, this amp readily played in stereo; such that the Right and Left images were readily discerned.

Stereo and/or dual channel power amps are plentiful! They can be commercial or DIY. For example; U1 and U2 can be diyF5, diy DEF etc. diyF5 in this application may further be loosely named a stereo diyF7 clone; albeit a powerful one [75 W/ch across 8 Ohm] and not a sissy!.

I refer to this amp as as a compound; because of the power transformer which enables crosstalk between U1 and U2. Its presence or not [remove it] in this circuit and the resultant sonic value will be investigated. Is it needed?

I will need to understand the influence of direct PCF inside the same amp versus the cross PCF which I show in this schematic.

Best
Anton
Attached Images
File Type: png StereoComboAmpWithPCF.png (41.4 KB, 82 views)
Old 11th October 2018, 09:00 PM   #44
Antoinel is offline Antoinel  United States
diyAudio Member

Default THRESHOLD S/150 Using Positive Current Feedback

The attached is a simple schematic for the subject amp. I no longer call it a compound amp. Because it lacks the power transformer [see past 2 posts] which enabled cross-talk between the two power amps, and further embodies Intra PCF instead of Inter PCF.

Here is the method to determine the value of the encircled resistors [5.6 K]. This resistor determines the extent of acceptable/safe PCF; meaning to prevent each amp from oscilllating. A resistor value of 3.3 K caused oscillation!

1. I replaced the 5 Amp Fast Blow output fuse in each channel with a 1/2 Amp Fast Blow.

2. I progressively lowered the value of the encircled resistors starting with 100 K. I used the standard values of [82K, 68K, 56K, 47K etc ] down to 3.3K. At this point the 1/2 Amp fuses blew.

3. Each amp was stable with an encircled resistor value of 4.7K. I chose 5.6K for added precaution when I restored the original 5 Amp output fuse.

This is a great sounding system.

I experimented with the following variables:

1. No transformer, a 115Vac:115Vac transformer [VPT230-110], and a 24Vac:24Vac transformer [VPT48-520]. I used VPT48 normal secondaries for this function. Bass loudness followed the trend VPT48>VPT230>no transformer.

2. Intra PCF versus Inter PCF with the variables of #1. I favored Intra PCF

3. PCF versus none. I favored Intra PCF or Inter PCF over no PCF. Bass was tight and detailed with either PCF.

With the exception of the subjective results of #3, the circuit variations due to #1 and #2 gave fully acceptable subjectives.

Best
Anton
Attached Images
File Type: png THRESHOLD S150WithPCF.png (43.0 KB, 55 views)

Compound Power AmplifiersHide this!Advertise here!