F6 Amplifier

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Here the Teaser-6 in stereo, installed on a heatsink and chassis previously used for an F5 built using Cviller boards.

It sounds very good. With ear 1 inch from speaker cone, no hiss and hum is barely detectable. Bass is strong and high roll-off not really noticeable. My initial impression is that something in the midrange is a bit "muddy". I need to do a lot more listening and wire up some switches so I can to A/B comparisons.

My amplifier of choice for the past year has been a balanced F5, similar to EUVL's F5X. It will be hard to beat soundwise.

nice looking , from every perspective

I would not expect same sort of quality as from balanced or even SUSY F5 ;

Look what came in the mail !

Thanks lhquam,
That was fast shipping.

The boards look great!

Rush

Attachments

• IMGP7601.JPG
    IMGP7601.JPG
    434.9 KB · Views: 362
Transformers shipped on Friday and should be there by Friday.

When faced with fine wire, a fragile pin connection and silver solder ROHS idiocy, we make the first hot pot dip in 60/40 offensive metallurgy and then over dip in 3.4% silver, 94% tin, 2.6% unknown iron pot eating materials. Not detectable.

Bud

Not too worried as i believe i will be the only limitation with this amp.

Woohoo,triple post!

It is impressive that the Teaser-6 sounds this good considering that with 0R47 source resistors Rs, the open-loop gain is only 20 or so. With a closed-loop gain of around 5, that doesn't leave much for feedback. One could decrease Rs, increasing open-loop gain and damping factor at the cost of changing the balance between local and global negative feedback. I haven't listened to the difference between Rs=0R47 and R2=0R12. It might be worth experimenting with.

nice looking , from every perspective

I would not expect same sort of quality as from balanced or even SUSY F5 ;

I have listened long enough to know that the Teaser-6 will NOT replace either my F5 or F5-balanced. :down: I am starting to have listener fatigue with this amp. Perhaps my implementation isn't up to Papa's standards, but the overall limitations imposed by the "F6 Conceptual Schematic" prevail. Bottom line: Too little open-loop gain.

Sorry to be a wet blanket. :(

Last edited:
I suspect the "boomy" sound on the bass is due to a low damping factor of about 4.6. I estimate the output impedance is around 1.7 ohms. The closed-loop gain is 4.7.
Your loudspeakers were optimized by its manufacturer to work with an ideal voltage source amp [Zo <0.1 Ohms]. Now you drive the same loudspeakers with TEASER 6 of higher Zo = 1.7 Ohms. TEASER 6 gave you [and us] the correct and expected answers. Your build is A+. Its got power, low %THD, is stable with no hum and buzz. Unfortunately, its loudspeaker mate is suboptimal. What is Zo for your F5 build?

• Do know the impedance versus frequency curve of your loudspeaker especially in the midrange; to explain the mud and listener fatigue?
  • The classic designs used a voltage gain stage on the primary side of the transformer. kasey197 used a step up transformer to harness more open loopl gain than available as depicted by Conceptual F6. You also have indicated other options to lower Zo!

Here is Stereophile Mag's impedance measurement of my B&W CDM1 speakers. Yup, my next tweak will be to lower the output JFET source resistors to somewhere near ZERO ohms, which will increase open-loop gain to around 100 or so. I could also reduce the closed-loop gain below 4.7, requiring an input source capable of higher voltage drive.

Your loudspeakers were optimized by its manufacturer to work with an ideal voltage source amp [Zo <0.1 Ohms]. Now you drive the same loudspeakers with TEASER 6 of higher Zo = 1.7 Ohms. TEASER 6 gave you [and us] the correct and expected answers. Your build is A+. Its got power, low %THD, is stable with no hum and buzz. Unfortunately, its loudspeaker mate is suboptimal. What is Zo for your F5 build?

• Do know the impedance versus frequency curve of your loudspeaker especially in the midrange; to explain the mud and listener fatigue?
  • The classic designs used a voltage gain stage on the primary side of the transformer. kasey197 used a step up transformer to harness more open loopl gain than available as depicted by Conceptual F6. You also have indicated other options to lower Zo!

Attachments

• CDM1-impedance.jpg
    CDM1-impedance.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 317