F6 Amplifier

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Generg stated noticable difference in Official Drek vs homemade stew J2, and just wandering if that was your expereience as well? How different?

The difference is big....unfortunately it is difficult to discuss this point because the circuit is not published.
Maybe I make things wrong... But I really tried hard..... having an original open.

As ZenMod stated I see the greatest problem in the values of the Semiconductors and that there is not much published knowledge how to calculate a Mufollower really, for instance.

It would be very interesting to hear from other people having heard original First Watt amps and clones in comparison, let us say F5 or F4.
Unfortunately there are often two separated groups, one group can afford the FW amps and have no intention to hear clones and the other group building clones does not have the money to buy the originals.

On one side I was really really frustrated about the difference between my clone and the original J2
On the other side I was fascinated what Nelson can do with the same circuit to let it sound so wonderful! I take my hat off!

Nevertheless I go on building, decision to buy a First Watt would stop this process.......
Why should I do this?

And I hope that Papa takes into account our smaller possibilities to calculate exact values and getting completely matched parts.. when writing his instructions and developing the circuit for F6 making it more foolproof...:D

Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
...... and that there is not much published knowledge how to calculate a Mufollower really, for instance......

I asked Pa some questions about his spks ; his answer was something in line with - "you calculate them in simplest way you can , make prototype , then measure and listen and change it iteratively ....... "

go figure - xover of SR speakers is , in same time , simple usual jobbie ........ and insane

:rofl:

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I asked Pa some questions about his spks ; his answer was something in line with - "you calculate them in simplest way you can , make prototype , then measure and listen and change it iteratively ....... "

go figure - xover of SR speakers is , in same time , simple usual jobbie ........ and insane

:rofl:

To do this .....the greatest problem for me is that my working place and the open baffles are in a different room.
And to change this is not easy.....but I will find a way! :D

Inspiration Circuits from Simplified F6 Schematic

What? No posts since yesterday? C'mmon greedy boyz!

Naah. The little grey cells never rest. Please allow me to stir up this interesting thread.

The attached pdf [OTLAmp5] shows two schematics. Figure 1 uses two ACA#1's [voltage source amps or VSAs] in bridging mode by utilizing the interstage transformer as indicated by its phase relationships. Up to quadruple the output power of a solo ACA#1 is expected. Clearly DIYers can extend this approach to a myriad of VSAs in their collection.

Figure 2 uses two Transconductance Amps [TCA] plus the interstage transformer as indicated. If one can use a single JFET transconductance amp [e.g. in F6], one can readily use a whole Transconductance Power Amplifier instead. Note that each TCA can inherently, and absolutely match the other [e.g the Pass designs]; a requirement for F6. Their gain and overall performance characteristics have been established already. Note that the TCAs need to be powered by dual polarity power supplies so as to have a zero Vdc offset at the output. A provision for loop feedback is provided like in the simplified schematic of F6.

Attachments

• OTLAmp5.pdf
    53.4 KB · Views: 191
Question is, do you loose the magic of the simplicity [you are absolutely right. Nonetheless, simplicity and complexity have their own opposing; albeit beneficial corners] . Just about anything can be scaled, but have you gained or lost [worthy question for DIYers and readers of this thread; including you to mull over and respond to.] ? I could build a 250W Aleph X or SUsy the BA amps [please add my simple approach to your possible designs] , but my speakers just dont need that much power.[Other DIYer may crave high power; just because.... I remember Mr. Pass's Threshold S/500 and S/1000 brute power amplifiers!] ] devices]

As a DIYer like many others including you, I share my ideas for whatever value they derive from them. Be it therapy, scale up etc. Our diyAudio site is for fanatics by fanatics. Its absolute value is the myriad of ideas, suggestions, schematics etc. contained in its threads.

I could not access this pdf. Please help.
Try follow:
1) go to www.google.hu
2) use key word "valve and transistor audio amplifiers"
3) choice the button "Oldalak innen: Magyarország" - that means: "Only Pages from Hungary"
4) open the first proposal " PDF] Untitled kisskincsestár.hu/.../John%20Linsley%20Hood%20-... "
Please note, this is only a read sample and not the whole book.
One of the charms about the transformer vs JLH/PLH phase splitter is that
it delivers pure symmetry in the same way a circlotron does - each like
polarity part is subjected to the same conditions, although in opposite
phase.

It is possible to do this with a phase splitter ala JLH/PLH, but if you look
carefully you will see that the bottom output device is run Common-Source
mode and the top device is Common-Drain.
It is a rare circuit that will
deliver real symmetry under these conditions.

:cool:
from page 395 (start from read sample "Self on Audio") by the URL
http://www.bgaudioclub.org/uploads/docs/Self_on_Audio_Second_Edition.pdf
you will find informations in detail arround this view.

Last edited: