F6 Amplifier

Finally something to show (off with)...

f6s.jpg

PCB is for the DiyAudio F6 circuit (IRFP240 version).
f6pcb.png

And as you can see, major inspiration from the DiyAudio F6 pcb!

Although, I threw in the Hitachis to see what they can do (pins 2 and 3 cross connected).
Only basic tests so far, but does not look too bad...
All tests with the Hitachis. Gate resistors 220R, otherwise they will oscillate.

Frequency response:
freqres.png

5kHz square wave, red input, blue output:
5ksqr.png

20kHz square wave, red input, blue output:
20ksqr.png

20kHz 1W 8R, guess which is input and which is output...
20ksin.png

:)

Attachments

• f6.pdf
    163.1 KB · Views: 407
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Hi there folks - 2 questions if someone can help?

The Jfets I've got for the front end are loosely matched, K170's at Idss of 8.2 and 8.6, and the J74's are 7.7 and 7.9. How do I go about calculating the correct amount of degeneration to apply to the K170's to more closely match them?

Secondly, there's a great article that was written about this exact process by one of the members of Diyaudio (Juma? Evul? I don't remember...), that wen't into some fairly intricate detail around matching the curves of the devices as well. Does anyone know the document I'm talking about and where I could find it? It might prevent me asking any further questions...

Thanks!

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Thank you ZM. I'll go and do some digging through that thread.

I had thought to try and get to a mathematical solution for degeneration as I haven't a distortion analyser to 'tune' the H2/H3 to the lowest level (or to the 'best' mix to my hearing).

My next though is to just throw them in and fix my mind to be happy with the result instead of fixing the parts :D