F6 Amplifier

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Unfortunately, diy F6 is unfinished business. I have a stash of 4 R100As and that is no consolation; R100A appear to be obsoleteium . DIY F6 has no spare parts;and there is not a clear solution for its new output stage.

well - if you have two pairs of Semisouths , it is finished business for you

and , if made properly - it will outlives you , for sure

Has anyone built an F6 with "standard" MOSFETs? What is needed for temperature stability? Will source degeneration be enough or will active thermistor control of the bias be needed?
lhquam: I have part answers. Post #1317 showed MOSFETs in the output stage of the old classic. Also, pls search for the DIYer wimdehaan; he too had a schematic [c/o flg]in the early posts.

Wim DeHaan's design I posted is a complementary output design. Still a nice idea I will attempt...

Attachments

• lundahl Hybrid circ.jpg
    lundahl Hybrid circ.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 496
I think I have the answer to that question and I am doing simulations right now.

Build the F6 using Nelson's "F6 with Variable 2ND Harmonic" schematic with "ordinary MOSFETs" and the lower (maybe upper too) source resistor with a higher value like 0R47. The FET degeneration will be determined by the Zen pots P3 and P4, not the source resistors. BUT the bias thermal stability will be improved by the DC drop across the source resistor(s). My guess is that this will work without thermistors in the same manner as the many F5s built without thermistors.

Has anyone built an F6 with "standard" MOSFETs? What is needed for temperature stability? Will source degeneration be enough or will active thermistor control of the bias be needed?

Attachments

• F6-var-degen.jpg
    F6-var-degen.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 499
Last edited:
well - if you have two pairs of Semisouths , it is finished business for you

and , if made properly - it will outlives you , for sure
Zen Mod. You are logically correct. lhquam and buzzforb have them too. Fortunately, they are searching for solutions so DIYers [who will never have R100As] can appreciate diyF6. You too have a stake in diyF6. I hope that you augment their efforts so as to keep it alive.

This old bull will have to document the performance of the F6 with IRFP240's
so as to keep the DIYers happy.

It will need some output stage degeneration, and more bias voltage on the
voltage sources. Zeners will work fine.

:cool:
In a past post regading ACA, this MOSFET was quoted to have a Gm = 2. Will additional voltage gain be needed in this version of diyF6?

In a past post regading ACA, this MOSFET was quoted to have a Gm = 2. Will additional voltage gain be needed in this version of diyF6?
I proposed in a past post of this thread the attached schematic in the event additional voltage gain was needed in diyF6. I already bought the PCBs from the DIYAudio store. I hope the schematic is useful for DIYers. One pending question hung: Where's one inject overall loop feedback in it?
Brgds.

Attachments

• name it.pdf
    50.9 KB · Views: 175
I think I have the answer to that question and I am doing simulations right now.

Build the F6 using Nelson's "F6 with Variable 2ND Harmonic" schematic with "ordinary MOSFETs" and the lower (maybe upper too) source resistor with a higher value like 0R47. The FET degeneration will be determined by the Zen pots P3 and P4, not the source resistors. BUT the bias thermal stability will be improved by the DC drop across the source resistor(s). My guess is that this will work without thermistors in the same manner as the many F5s built without thermistors.

Ilquam. I think you should try this layout with lateral fets. I started with them. It would be interesting to gt your opinion.