Amp Camp Amp - ACA

All I asked was if the plug didn't fit for anyone else.

People gave you a hint may be ? No ?
TungstenAudio for example....

I would install a locking toggle switch, tighten it firmly in place, then leave it disconnected. Who knows, you might think of something later?

Read carefully the guide....

....you could see something in Step 32

I asked the question a while back and it was ignored. When the harmless question was finally responded to, I got this.

There was no mention of the plug in the guide at all. So I didn't know whether it was indeed for that hole (which mine did not fit) or it was something else which I was missing. I was merely trying to figure things out. Bad on me, good on everybody else. Thanks for the help.

I asked the question a while back and it was ignored. When the harmless question was finally responded to, I got this.

There was no mention of the plug in the guide at all. So I didn't know whether it was indeed for that hole (which mine did not fit) or it was something else which I was missing. I was merely trying to figure things out. Bad on me, good on everybody else. Thanks for the help.

That’s why I mentioned heat shrink. I had to search this thread to figure out what it was as well. Mine was a little loose as well so I used a little ring of heat shrink on mine near the outside cap. I didn’t heat shrink the whole barrel of the plug.

After reading this from dear Nelson Pass, I ordered 100 nos. J113 and few 112. Its quite hard to get things in this part of world. But things are improving.

Back in my school days (1994) , I almost lived in search of components . And without knowing much was playing with OP AMPs, head pre-amplifiers, Grounding issue, noise, shielding. None to really help. DIYAUDIO is a peace giving place...

I don't see any issues with J111, J112, BF862.

This is not a very critical part.

:cool:

Troubleshooting noise from amp

I am getting noise from the ACA through one channel. Originally I thought it was the pre but have changed everything but the ACA and speakers and still get the noise. Link to thread in analog line level. Note that the noise has gone from left channel to right and back to left as I try to trouble shoot it but for no reason I could figure out. User error in hookup maybe but I did not find anything.

Distortion from preamp

Original posting has a recording attached of the noise. I never notice it when I first turn the amp on, seems to happen after it warms up. I have tried re-flowing solder joints that looked at all questionable. Of course the normal poking to see if moving anything helps. Can't seem to find anything obvious to me but of course this was my first build. Amp is built to v1.6 spec with the exception of .13 uf worth of capacitors on the line in jack to roll off lower freq. It has been in the system for about 6 months and I have noticed the problem just over the last month. Looking for pointers on what to check next, it is driving me a bit nuts 🙁

Attachments

• IMG_20190814_195951.jpg
    IMG_20190814_195951.jpg
    982.2 KB · Views: 532
  • IMG_20190814_200009.jpg
    IMG_20190814_200009.jpg
    987.5 KB · Views: 524
  • IMG_20190814_200021.jpg
    IMG_20190814_200021.jpg
    981.1 KB · Views: 520
  • IMG_20190814_200032.jpg
    IMG_20190814_200032.jpg
    978.4 KB · Views: 496
  • IMG_20190814_200424.jpg
    IMG_20190814_200424.jpg
    961.5 KB · Views: 493
  • IMG_20190814_200434.jpg
    IMG_20190814_200434.jpg
    979.5 KB · Views: 179
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
repair soldering of wires on all terminals

if that doesn't help - replace JFets between channels

if trouble moves following JFet , from channel to channel - you found JFet as culprit

if problem stays on same channel as it was , replace mosfets - they're cheap and easy to get everywhere

re-set output node voltage ( some calls it "BIAS") when doing any change , including swapping of JFets

You have heard noise from both channels during "testing"?
Have you tried to bypass the caps you have put on input?
This just to start with a "standard" ACA before you modify. The ACA NFB circuit rely on that pre has low impedance. The serial cap at input will influence on that. It may not be the right way to do the "roll of" with this kind of amp design?
If you have a scope it would be helpful to see how the noise looks like......

Amp is built to v1.6 spec with the exception of .13 uf worth of capacitors on the line in jack to roll off lower freq. It has been in the system for about 6 months and I have noticed the problem just over the last month. Looking for pointers on what to check next, it is driving me a bit nuts 🙁

May I ask why are you rolling off the low freqs?
The cut-off for 0.13uF and 10kOhm is around 120Hz.
Even if you double the Rin the cut-off will be 60Hz
Unless you are using the ACA to drive some MF or HF drivers in an bi-amp setup.
And even then there are better ways to do it.
Just curious...