Amp Camp Amp - ACA

rnjorge, nothing to be surprised in your experience. Yes, some systems interact together in a much better way than others do. The quality of the music you hear will be changed when you use different preamps or DAC's and the same amps and speakers. I agree your ears should be in control to decide what equipment you are going to use. By the way the B1 is a Pass design same as the ACA's. The Saga is a Schiit design, not the same as the ACA's..

Having built both the B1 and ACA, I'm of the opinion that they are not as good a match as being implied above. The ACA really needs a preamp with gain, and especially so for symphonic music and earlier recordings of say, Pink Floyd. My speakers are 94dB, which is above average sensitivity, btw.

Urged on by a friend, I then built the AKSA Lender preamp with 15dB gain. Wow, what a difference? The ACA came alive and sounds much better than it did with the B1.

I'm not knocking the B1. It's a great preamp/buffer. It has to be - it's a Pass design. But it's just not a good match for the ACA which needs a preamp with gain.

Last edited:
For the sake of clarity I think we should use the proper terms when discussing gain and voltage levels. There seems to be some confusion here over terms. Gain is Voltage out/voltage in and is expressed as a number or also commonly in Db. It does not include the unit Volts. So a gain of 1 has no units and should not be stated as a gain of 1v. If for example the input to an amplifier is 1 volt and the amplifier gain is 5 then the output is 5 volts.

Well said.
Gain(number) = Vout divided by Vin.

Should have started there in my explanation.

Greetings,
I just ordered a complete ACA Kit. I plan on using it to drive my Klipsch Cornwalls 102db/w they are Crites modified series 2. I will also be using my Carver C1 preamp to start with, I modified years ago, very clean. I'm NASA Certified solder tech. I have built speakers for decades. I just wanted to say Hi.

kd7vw - That will sound wonderful. I have a 30 year old pair of Cornwalls being driving by an ACA (with a bottlehead Smash as a preamp) - the combination is excellent.

I've preordered a Whammy to use as a preamp (and headphone amp) partly to see how it works out and partly to enjoy the build.

Rich

I'm one chassis away of testing the WHAMMY headphone amplifier modified to have a line out to be a PRE for my ACA.

Other than that, I know very little of DIY, I'm very new to this.

I did purchase a Schiit Magni and it does a decent job at high gain. In low gain I found I was almost requiring to keep it a full volume. Its $99 so I thought it won't hurt to give it a try.

I'll report further on the WHAMMY as a PRE, hopefully by the end of this week, or sooner if I get a bit irresponsible with work :) .

Rafa.
Hi Rafa, any news on the WHAMMY as a pre for ACA? I might order a WHAMMY kit if it's a good match. What is the gain of the WHAMMY as a pre amp?

I'll answer but take this with a pinch of salt... my Whammy is 2 days old!!

Fast answer: Perfect Match!

For my setup, just exactly what I wanted. Built mostly with the kit parts and exactly as per the recommended BOM, the Whammy has 14dB of gain. For my setup, this yields perfect volume at 12 o'clock, and nice margin up and and down for whatever needs.

Sound is superb!

Now... after I finished my cable soldering, Wayne has gone on record saying he would put 20 to 100 Ohm resistors in series with the pre output to prevent oscillation.

I have not done that, have no way to measure if that oscillation is present (nor would I know how to 'detect it'), and I don't know if that would change the gain with the pre output.

So, still a bit early to give a final 'green light' all the way... but it is working beautifully!!!

I did use a different OpAmp and I am planning on doing some tests with other OpAmps, but I'll record all this in the Whammy thread.

So, for about $200, I couldn't be happier. And since I had all from the ACA chassis, the chassis cost me $10 of cutting and folding the pieces. :)

I'll post pictures on he Whammy soon.

Best regards,
Rafa.