Amp Camp Amp - ACA

Yes, but the energy you put into the tweeter if speaker receives square waves at full output swing if often to much for a tweeter. A square wave will in theory contain frequencies up to infinity…...but of course not in real life. I have seen dome tweeters be burned that way when people had party in the old days (when amp started to distort). But maybe the square wave output swing the ACA can deliver can't burn a tweeter.

Hello DIYers,

I am supposed to power up my ACA with MooseFet pre-amp in the same box. I happened to fry my moosefet power adaptor and decided to make some changes to the whole set-up. I have plenty of 19V (120W laptop PSU) adaptors, but don't have a new suitable PSU for the MooseFet for which I used a regulated 30V 0.5mA adaptor.

I am now wondering what would be the best option in terms of value/quality. Neither one of the amps need a super-silent psu, but I am not counting out the possibility of DIYing a linear psu.

What are your suggestions to power both ACA and MF?

Thank you in advance!

Hello DIYers,

I am supposed to power up my ACA with MooseFet pre-amp in the same box. I happened to fry my moosefet power adaptor and decided to make some changes to the whole set-up. I have plenty of 19V (120W laptop PSU) adaptors, but don't have a new suitable PSU for the MooseFet for which I used a regulated 30V 0.5mA adaptor.

I am now wondering what would be the best option in terms of value/quality. Neither one of the amps need a super-silent psu, but I am not counting out the possibility of DIYing a linear psu.

What are your suggestions to power both ACA and MF?

Thank you in advance!

First thanks for reminding me about the MooseFet. I was going to build one some time ago and then forgot all about it.

Second, if noise is not a problem, you could use a DC to DC boost/buck converter on the 19 volt supply to get 30+ volts for the Moose.
This is an example not a recommendation. 3A DC-DC 5V 6V 9V 12V 15V 24V Buck/Boost Step Up Down Converter Volt Regulator | eBay

It is. I am powering my ACAs (1.5 ? Version) with one 24V 5A SMPS per channel placed inside the (somewhat larger) chassis with absolutely no noise.

It can't be good to subject a SMPS to the 50C heat of a Class A enclosure. The Meanwell datasheet specifies 70°C as the maximum operating temperature and the typical 50°C - 55°C ACA temperature is awfully close to that.

I'm using a single Meanwell LRS-100-24 for both channels of my stereo ACA, and the SMPS is located outside the enclosure.

I personally agree with you Skylar88. However, the post you quoted shows SMPS with perforated enclosures working with no noticeable issues inside ACA boxes. In this case, post 6093 by rnjorge, there is no datasheet available for the SMPS used and we are told the case used is larger, which means the temperature inside the case may not be the same as in ACA.

Last edited:
Hi oc11

Please note that I didn't say that it won't work. I said it can't be good running close to the max temp rating of the SMPS.
Every DIY'er is in control of his own projects and should decide what's acceptable practice for him.

Of course, bigger enclosures, vents, and whatever methods are used to allow cooler operation will do just that - let it run cooler. How much cooler depends on many things.

From my own experience with the ACA I know the whole of the enclosure get damn hot. I'll think twice and measure temperatures properly before I'll consider putting the SMPS inside any Class A amp enclosure.

Release Date

Hey guys, I'm new to this particular forum....in fact, this is my first post. I was wondering if ya'll could let me know what the typical time frame is for the release of the Amp Camp Amp kit might be? I'm more than interested in making 2 of these as monoblocks and put my email on the waiting/notification list, but as I haven't followed the past history of releases and just recently became aware the amp in general, I have no idea how long it usually takes for them to get back into stock. I wanna make sure I don't accidentally blow money that I'm putting aside for them on a speaker building project and then Bam get blindsided.....does it usually take them months or is it a once a year type of release?

-Eric

Hey guys, I'm new to this particular forum....in fact, this is my first post. I was wondering if ya'll could let me know what the typical time frame is for the release of the Amp Camp Amp kit might be? I'm more than interested in making 2 of these as monoblocks and put my email on the waiting/notification list, but as I haven't followed the past history of releases and just recently became aware the amp in general, I have no idea how long it usually takes for them to get back into stock. I wanna make sure I don't accidentally blow money that I'm putting aside for them on a speaker building project and then Bam get blindsided.....does it usually take them months or is it a once a year type of release?

-Eric

Here's the timeline from the last few months:

Amp Camp Amp Kit - Pre-Order Status Page – diyAudio Store

Hi oc11

Please note that I didn't say that it won't work. I said it can't be good running close to the max temp rating of the SMPS.
Every DIY'er is in control of his own projects and should decide what's acceptable practice for him.

Of course, bigger enclosures, vents, and whatever methods are used to allow cooler operation will do just that - let it run cooler. How much cooler depends on many things.

From my own experience with the ACA I know the whole of the enclosure get damn hot. I'll think twice and measure temperatures properly before I'll consider putting the SMPS inside any Class A amp enclosure.

I fully agree with you Skylar88. I have been posting about perforating the top and bottom plates of the ACA box to improve convection and ventilation of the unit. This may or may not provide a significant improvement but I think it is worthwhile to try this if heat is a concern. And yes I am aware that the ACA Mosfets are happy at the temperatures inside the box.

You make the point that an SMPS unit may work OK close to the limit temperature stated in the datasheet, which is correct. However, there is a price to be paid. The % load (max load) of the SMPS goes down with temperatures close to the limit as is documented in the datasheets.

For example, the unit you use LRS100 Mean Well starts degrading its max load at 45 degrees C, and at the maximum operating temperature listed (70 C) the unit's maximum load goes down by 40%. This is documented in the datasheets. I agree with you that the environment of the ACA box (around 50 C) has to be considered not ideal for the placement of an SMPS.

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
I prefer that every exterior metal surface be solidly connected to the mains earth ground. If a live mains wire accidentally brushes against the chassis, anywhere, I want that to be shunted straight to earth, and not to loudspeakers or amplifier circuitry innards. Let it blow a fuse or trip a circuit breaker but keep it out of my audio gear please.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
That's a great suggestion and hopefully common practice.

I think the idea was more about a thermal break in the chassis, between the heatsinks and the chassis itself. It's an interesting idea, and makes sense. I've always wanted the chassis thermally connected as extra radiator, but there could be some applications where isolated would be beneficial.

If you examine the PCBs for ACA 1.6 one of the support post holes is connected to the ground in the board. If you use metal spacers to connect all support posts in your build to the heatsinks and then wire the grounds as per the instructions, the whole case will be grounded. You can use external grounding as well if you desire.