Amp Camp Amp - ACA

I also just decided to get build a preamp as I'm pretty sure the ACA alone will not be able to drive my 85db/1w speakers.

After much consideration I now settled on a Doug Self design preamp. Other options I considered where the WHAMMY (wich looks amazing), BA3 and P88 by Rod Elliott.

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I missed the deadline... RATS!!

Its the fault of my surgery. New Knees...
just sayin...

philji@mac.com
Santa Fe, NM

Hey just because I still have knees, doesn’t mean I don’t realize that time may come....We’re working night and day to come up with more batches of ACA amps, plus: we know ya’all need preamps. We ( and Nelson) are working hard on all sorts of audiophilia for you guys.... just stay tuned

Mark

UPDATE on Batch #1 ACA

AMP CAMP AMP KIT - PRE-ORDER STATUS PAGE
UPDATE - JULY 31ST 2018

Batch 1: Order are being processed in the order that they were placed.

Approximately the first 60% of orders will start shipping within the next 48 hours and you will get an email with tracking information if your order is in this group.

The last 40% should ship in around a week, though we are advertising August 14th as "worst case", and once we know exactly which orders are in which group (48 hours), we'll be sending emails to everyone to let them know (a) their order has shipped and what the tracking number is, or (b) when their order can be expected to ship.

We're very sorry for the delay on the latter 40% of orders. We were expecting some items from our previous logistics supplier mid-July but they really put the brakes on things.

Batch 2: Everything is on track for shipping on September 15th

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Then tell us what preamp is not a sissy......, ? And we will build it !.

Balanced, please.:D

(& we do appreciate all the effort!)

there is Iron Pre , both SE and Bal iterations , choice of output autoformer left to user - Edcor, Jensen , Cinemag (pads for all 3 on pcb)

and it is chained somewhere deep in Store Dungeons

:rofl:

Joined 2008
Paid Member
OK...I thought as much...thanks Zen. There was a Pumpkin preamp up for grabs in the swap meet, so I thought I’d ask. I read about the F4 lovers in the related Pumpkin preamp threads, but wasn’t sure if it would fly with the ACA or the F2 that I’ve started.

I will try the more efficient used Lowther DX3 I got at the other end to see if the ACAs make bigger noise to my liking with some of the meatier recordings I like.

I’ve heard the Lowther can be shouty, but my ears are old and used to my wife’s shouting anyway so maybe it will work out.

If it doesn’t work out with my DCB1 out front I can take a shot at setting up an old tube preamp I have. All that twiddling will probably take me long enough for the iron pre to come out.

Current ACA Update

UPDATE - AUGUST 1ST 2018

Batch 1: The first 60% of orders will start shipping tomorrow, in the order they were placed, and the remainder will start shipping in about a week from now. Very roughly, if your order number is lower than DAS-5300 (eg: DAS-5299) and it contained only the Amp Camp Amp kit and/or PSU, it will probably ship tomorrow, if it is higher than 5300 (eg: DAS-5301) or was more complicated, it will probably ship next week.

On August 4th we will email you either a tracking number (if yours shipped), or an ETA for when your order will ship (we think about a week).

Once again, we do apologize for the delay on the second half of the orders. Arguably, we're more annoyed than you are, however please feel free to email us and vent your frustrations. The silver lining is that all the work that went into creating systems to handle this batch will ensure future pre-orders are more predictable.

Batch 2: Everything is on track for shipping on September 15th

ACA order 1-status

Just saw todays update-

"Amp Camp Amp Kit - Pre-Order Status Page

Update - August 1st 2018

Batch 1: The first 60% of orders will start shipping tomorrow, in the order they were placed, and the remainder will start shipping in about a week from now. Very roughly, if your order number is lower than DAS-5300 (eg: DAS-5299) and it contained only the Amp Camp Amp kit and/or PSU, it will probably ship tomorrow, if it is higher than 5300 (eg: DAS-5301) or was more complicated, it will probably ship next week.
On August 4th we will email you either a tracking number (if yours shipped), or an ETA for when your order will ship (we think about a week).
Once again, we do apologize for the delay on the second half of the orders. Arguably, we're more annoyed than you are, however please feel free to email us and vent your frustrations. The silver lining is that all the work that went into creating systems to handle this batch will ensure future pre-orders are more predictable."

I'm exited for a new build.... while holding steady at order no.-DAS-5164 :p lol.

Yes, it is easy to try it and go back again to SE mode. But I remember that bridging amps was something we did when having party to be able to play loud and avoid clipping and burn the tweeters. The purpose was not better "quality". I was just thinking if bridging is needed if ACA was the right amp to build. It seems most go for the ACA with the purpose of bridging from beginning……..and that to me seems a little strange. Maybe because it is an easy build. But maybe some think it is for "quality" also. If it is to get balanced input as main putpose other solutions exist with a "native" balanced input circuit. But again it is a good education amp to try different things :)

Interested in balanced input options for my ACA's that drive high sensitivity compression drivers. Can you point me in the right direction? Thanks.