Amp Camp Amp - ACA

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I've always heard that clipping (regardless of how it sounds) is damaging to the speakers.

Hard clipping of many SS amplifiers certainly killed a lot of tweeters.

It is a qualitative thing… how well does an amplifier recover from clipping and how does it behave as it approaches clipping. For instance many amps (tubed ones in particular) tend to compress before they bail.

Does that mean that this is not entirely true? (Or not true at all?)

As with an aweful lot of things there is no generalization.

And how to determine how much clipping is too much, in this case of it actually sounding good?

With your ears… at least that his how i do it.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
dave, do i remember right that earlier you mentioned using the aca with speakers with rather low sensitivity? may a ask which ones and what their rating is?

An example is the recently used 85 dB Jordan Eikona. But they have a nice benign impedance and no crossover. With aps like the ACA crossovers can really be killers.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
That’s not too bad.

red-sin-imp-final-C.gif

dave

I haven't been able to locate anything in FedEx. Did you get a tracking number somehow?

I received just the chassis. AFAIK, the electronics part of the "kit" hasn't shipped yet.

I have a FEDEX account, so anything that comes to my name and/or address I know about. I'm pretty sure that either the DIY store or HiFi2000 sent me an invoice with the tracking number on it, but I would still have known anyway because of my FEDEX account.

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Larry - I believe you have written to the helpdesk at contact@diyaudiostore.com, we'll handle your case there.

As time goes on we're bit-by-bit improving the whole experience, especially regards our "direct shipping" partnership with Hifi2000. When Hifi2000 ships (using FedEx), your email address is added to the FedEx ticket and you should start to receive emails from FedEx about the delivery. At the same time, the store's own internal system will (should!) detect that, and update your order. If you log in to your account in the store, and view your order, you should see the tracking number (if it has been added).

There are a few points of failure, such as incorrect customer email address (when you order), or a keying error (some parts of the chain are manual). It's not perfect but is working great almost every time.

One thing we will be adding very soon is an additional two emails (when you place your order and when FedEx receives your shipment), letting people know that their chassis is insured right up until the point at which you receive your package. Once it has been handed over, FedEx considers its job done and the insurance is now invalid and there is no way to claim back any damage.

I know that when I receive packages I usually sign sign away and the delivery guy is gone the next moment. However we need to make a big deal out of this because that transaction actually marks the end of the insurance process!

Does this mean that you should physically open the FedEx package when you receive it and check every nut and bolt? That's entirely up to you, but if you notice damage 5 minutes after you've received it, it's too late. FedEx won't honor any insurance claim after the goods have been received (at which time they are considered "received in good order"), we can't replace anything after that point so this is your time to shine and a play an active role in both yourself and the store not getting screwed over by FedEx fineprint. So we are going to make a big deal about "do not accept any parcel unless you have verified that it has not been damaged". We know this is not obvious, so we're going to try really hard to communicate this simply, and clearly in the future.

Keep in mind that everything from Hifi2000 comes suitably packaged for the transit to your doorstep, but 1/100 times there might be an issue, especially with something really heavy like a 5U Deluxe or multiple chassis in one, so we are going to forced to make a big deal out of this and we're going to do everything we can to make it clear to our customers what they need to do.

In terms of missing parts, that's on us, but we ask that you do open the package within the first few days and check that there is nothing obviously missing. We're going to make a firm policy on how many days that is, and document it well, and communicate it well.

TL;DR: (1) Refuse any package you receive unless you are 100% sure it has arrived undamaged, the insurance won't cover you if you receive it and don't check for any problems and (2) Open your package as soon as you can to see if anything is missing so we can fix our mistake ASAP.

Please see update here: Amp Camp Amp - ACA

Last edited:
Larry - I believe you have written to the helpdesk at contact@diyaudiostore.com, we'll handle your case there.

As time goes on we're bit-by-bit improving the whole experience, especially regards our "direct shipping" partnership with Hifi2000. When Hifi2000 ships (using FedEx), your email address is added to the FedEx ticket and you should start to receive emails from FedEx about the delivery. At the same time, the store's own internal system will (should!) detect that, and update your order. If you log in to your account in the store, and view your order, you should see the tracking number (if it has been added).

There are a few points of failure, such as incorrect customer email address (when you order), or a keying error (some parts of the chain are manual). It's not perfect but is working great almost every time.

One thing we will be adding very soon is an additional two emails (when you place your order and when FedEx receives your shipment), letting people know that their chassis is insured right up until the point at which you receive your package. Once it has been handed over, FedEx considers its job done and the insurance is now invalid and there is no way to claim back any damage.

I know that when I receive packages I usually sign sign away and the delivery guy is gone the next moment. However we need to make a big deal out of this because that transaction actually marks the end of the insurance process!

Does this mean that you should physically open the FedEx package when you receive it and check every nut and bolt? That's entirely up to you, but if you notice damage 5 minutes after you've received it, it's too late. FedEx won't honor any insurance claim after the goods have been received (at which time they are considered "received in good order"), we can't replace anything after that point so this is your time to shine and a play an active role in both yourself and the store not getting screwed over by FedEx fineprint. So we are going to make a big deal about "do not accept any parcel unless you have verified that it has not been damaged". We know this is not obvious, so we're going to try really hard to communicate this simply, and clearly in the future.

Keep in mind that everything from Hifi2000 comes suitably packaged for the transit to your doorstep, but 1/100 times there might be an issue, especially with something really heavy like a 5U Deluxe or multiple chassis in one, so we are going to forced to make a big deal out of this and we're going to do everything we can to make it clear to our customers what they need to do.

In terms of missing parts, that's on us, but we ask that you do open the package within the first few days and check that there is nothing obviously missing. We're going to make a firm policy on how many days that is, and document it well, and communicate it well.

TL;DR: (1) Refuse any package you receive unless you are 100% sure it has arrived undamaged, the insurance won't cover you if you receive it and don't check for any problems and (2) Open your package as soon as you can to see if anything is missing so we can fix our mistake ASAP.

Jason, some seriously important advice you've offered up that I wasn't fully aware of.

The store's shipping advice:
About Chassis Shipping
doesn't appear to note the cautionary advice you're offering here around acceptance of a courier delivery and the scope of insurance.

I suggest that it would be worthwhile to review that detail.

Thanks (BTW my chassis order has made it to Singapore. It'll be down under soon)

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
We're learning as we go - I wasn't fully aware of it until just now either! It's happened very rarely in the past maybe 1 in 100 or 200 orders, and we of course will do everything we can to look after our customers which usually means taking a loss on it ourselves. I can say that Hifi2000 in all the time we have been working on them have the most upstanding ethics and are selfless when it comes to handling customer service and resolving any problems even if it means taking a loss for themselves. It's great to be working with people so focused on making their customers happy.

However, it's clear that this is something we really need to make clear from now on, and get you the customer to help protect us both from this situation (sadly we can't be there in person when you sign the release!). It's just one of those things that needs to be communicated. It's very easy to do, and clearly very important - we just need to communicate that (which we will, in a series of emails, from now on).

Please see update here: Amp Camp Amp - ACA

Last edited:
I ordered an ACA kit the other day and am very much looking forward to building it. I really want to thank the people who make all this possible. I bet it's a hell lot of work and I really appreciate the products and support offered on this forum!

And there's a question: In the build guide I noticed that no sanding of the chassis parts is mentioned to make a good connection. Is noise or RF interference a problem with this design at all? Reason I'm asking is because I just spent a lot of time "silencing" another amp I built and had some massive issues with RFI noise.