Amp Camp Amp - ACA

Thanks @2picoDumbs,@drjbf1,@cochleus,@Eric.

It is a nice sounding amp indeed. This is my first stereo amp. As I came from an AVR background (Yamaha Aventage 810 AVR in pure direct mode), results are pretty dramatic for me with AmpCamp. The whole sound signature changed. Initially I was a bit sceptical about its 5w power. But my 90db bookshelves did justice to this amp.
I am working on the aesthetics now. Will post photos as soon as I am done with the beautification of the cabinet.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Finally done with the paint job (I know it's awful). Final assembly is also over. Here are some photos.

52a723564c3d718e91be591ea7c224c1.jpg

92a8581274110bed242f601c2fa814ab.jpg

c6655c6a0fc476758c69a33d8fbb36a4.jpg

Final assembly is also over.

Awesome! Now that it has a blue light, it looks like an "official" amp ;) A little touch up on the paint is an easy thing to do - something I've had to do a few times myself :D

How many more years will it take before the ubiquitous blue power LED will indicate that our DIY amps were all made in the 2000-2020 time frame?

Awesome! Now that it has a blue light, it looks like an "official" amp ;) A little touch up on the paint is an easy thing to do - something I've had to do a few times myself :D

Thanks a lot Eric. I'm glad that you liked it. I felt very happy to see that you considered it an 'official' amp [emoji3]

I'll try to do some touch up later.

It's been a few weeks since I completed my ACAs, so I thought I'd write a bit about my continued experiences with them.

First, I did move to 24V supplies, and moved the bias to 12.5V. I'm not noticing any ill effect as far as heat is concerned, and I do sense a little extra "oomph" (a technical term ;-) ).

I run these from a Kenwood L-07C II preamp, with 3 sources. a Nottingham turntable with a Rega RB303 arm and Shelter 501 cartridge, a Kenwood L-07T II tuner, and an iFi nano iDSD. For speakers, I have a pair of the Eton Symphony S7 bookshelf speakers I put together, that have a 90db sensitivity. This system is in my study, which is not a big room, so from a loudness perspective, I can get as loud as I need.

After working hard to tame ground loops (the older Kenwood doesn't have a ground on the mains), I've been listening as much as possible for the past several weeks. I have to say, I'm very impressed! What surprises me the most is the combination of transient response and dynamic range. You'd think for an amp not putting out a lot of watts, that it my wheeze a bit on large scale symphonic pieces, but I've played my DSD versions of Pictures at an Exhibition, Scheherazade, Pastorale, and others, and I have been quite frankly amazed at how well these amps handle massed strings, tympani, and other complex and/or dynamic musical structures. When I rock out, Southern Culture on the Skids, the Smithereens, Pete Yorn, and others come through with fortitude. Acoustic music, whether bluegrass, acoustic jazz or other, comes through with a clarity that belies their diminutive nature.

I guess the main thing to say is, I'm really impressed! The only problem I have, is that having been a tube guy for years (and still love the tube system in my living room), I now find myself wanting to build my next solid state project! Maybe I'll start planning for a go at the F6, later this year.

It's been a few weeks since I completed my ACAs, so I thought I'd write a bit about my continued experiences with them.

First, I did move to 24V supplies, and moved the bias to 12.5V. I'm not noticing any ill effect as far as heat is concerned, and I do sense a little extra "oomph" (a technical term ;-) ).

I run these from a Kenwood L-07C II preamp, with 3 sources. a Nottingham turntable with a Rega RB303 arm and Shelter 501 cartridge, a Kenwood L-07T II tuner, and an iFi nano iDSD. For speakers, I have a pair of the Eton Symphony S7 bookshelf speakers I put together, that have a 90db sensitivity. This system is in my study, which is not a big room, so from a loudness perspective, I can get as loud as I need.

After working hard to tame ground loops (the older Kenwood doesn't have a ground on the mains), I've been listening as much as possible for the past several weeks. I have to say, I'm very impressed! What surprises me the most is the combination of transient response and dynamic range. You'd think for an amp not putting out a lot of watts, that it my wheeze a bit on large scale symphonic pieces, but I've played my DSD versions of Pictures at an Exhibition, Scheherazade, Pastorale, and others, and I have been quite frankly amazed at how well these amps handle massed strings, tympani, and other complex and/or dynamic musical structures. When I rock out, Southern Culture on the Skids, the Smithereens, Pete Yorn, and others come through with fortitude. Acoustic music, whether bluegrass, acoustic jazz or other, comes through with a clarity that belies their diminutive nature.

I guess the main thing to say is, I'm really impressed! The only problem I have, is that having been a tube guy for years (and still love the tube system in my living room), I now find myself wanting to build my next solid state project! Maybe I'll start planning for a go at the F6, later this year.
Congratulations on your build. I also finished mine and loving it.

I have plans for F6 as well. Half of the parts have already been procured. Now before moving to F6, I'd like to get my hand dirty with JLH 1969. [emoji4]

There's another interesting thread going on in diyaudio. It's on Apex FX8. I'm following that thread to get more insight on that amp.

Hope I'm not deviating from the topic.

My first ACA -mighty Midget

So i am also some Month back finished successful my first one.
I've seen the UTube Clip about Amp Camp Day- very nice Idea! and all
the lucky People who finished successful the Tiny Amp.
In little Homerooms 5W- more than you can "normaly use, i think.
Pick Parts together.
Vishay IRFP250 from Mouser, also Resistors and Cap's.
2x Notbook PSU 3,14A from Beach.
For thermally Safety i add a little Alu- Cooling to PSU housing.
The rest gives not much heat in my Setup, works comfortable.

At first running the Amp on my Fostex FE126En (little touchy without
Correction- parallel Coil 0,82mH; 4,7µF; 4,7R/5-10W- on + wire works fine) i was impressed the very nice Sounding together.
A very good Ensemble, not too expensive.

Now here some Pics from strong Engine driven Amp.
:confused::D:p:):devily:
At last i only could say Thanks to Mister Pass, that we in DIY can work
with your excellent engineered Amplifiers.
I've also finished my first F5 and also F4. Now comes Time to finish the
Aleph J.

successful doing handicrafts.
Regards

Attachments

• PIC_0261.jpg
    PIC_0261.jpg
    456.7 KB · Views: 698
  • PIC_0264.jpg
    PIC_0264.jpg
    334.6 KB · Views: 684