Amp Camp Amp - ACA

Thanks to Mr Pass and your enthusiasm I have built the ACA and is working fine (I like its 'signature'). My only concern is that when I switch it on I hear a 'buzz' on my speakers. It only lasts for a few seconds. What could this mean? Is it a capacitor dis/charging or something more serious which could harm my speakers (not cheap)?

Thanks for any help and advice.

I built 4 ACA kits to drive midrange and treble compression driver/horn combos in a 3 way tri-amped stereo system using an A40 to drive the woofers. If interested in the details and not considered link spam: Advanced Acourate Digital XO Time Alignment Driver Linearization Walkthrough.

Attached are a few photos of the build and integration into the system. The white knuckles on the soldering iron belong to my 10 year old daughter who, after a quick first time tutorial on two wires, helped solder the boards. She could not believe it was liquid metal.

I have been listening for three weeks and in the last week incorporated the lets bake the amp mod. Highly recommended!

The magic combo of fast transient detail, yet liquid smooth delivery, really sets this amp apart in my opinion. For the price of the kit in the store, represents excellent value. They went together easily and I love the Ferrari red chassis!

Attachments

• Soldering 1.jpg
    Soldering 1.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 1,644
  • Stereo 8.jpg
    Stereo 8.jpg
    337.5 KB · Views: 652
  • ACA A40 rack 7.jpg
    ACA A40 rack 7.jpg
    352.1 KB · Views: 639
  • Side 6.jpg
    Side 6.jpg
    456 KB · Views: 644
  • Side 5.jpg
    Side 5.jpg
    555.6 KB · Views: 1,451
  • Side 4.jpg
    Side 4.jpg
    549 KB · Views: 1,485
  • On sinks 3.jpg
    On sinks 3.jpg
    292 KB · Views: 1,528
  • stuffed boards 2.jpg
    stuffed boards 2.jpg
    341.6 KB · Views: 1,560
Last edited:
Homemade single sided ACA

My homemade version of ACA. Single sided PCB, much easier to make that double sided.
PCB specs : 4inch x 2inch, FR4 2oz.

PCB's with just the photo laminate on (before etching)
IMG_1041.jpg

Etched PCBs
IMG_1049.jpg

With solder mask and all holes drilled.
IMG_1056.jpg

Getting the parts laid out.
IMG_1059.jpg

Up and running. Didn't have the 3W resistors so used some .22Ohm/5W to make up the required values.
Sounds awesome !! Absolutely no hiss/hum.
IMG_1063.jpg